Hi,

Even in the northern countries there are places without internet access. I
recently was confronted to such a situation and I successfully used JOSM to map
a region based on GPS traces I collected on the field. I had downloaded
existing OSM data and cached aerial photographies beforehand and was able to
upload my work (at the price of one or two conflict resolutions) later when
back in the civilisation.

Therefore I wonder if there could be a misunderstanding in what you expect from
JOSM or how you intend to use it.

Matthieu