On Thu, 30 Mar 2017, Ian Feeney wrote:

I am currently working on the redevelopment of the OSM Tasking Manager
application with my company thinkWhere (http://www.thinkwhere.com/).

The application allows users to select task squares for mapping, then launch JOSM by
remote control zoomed to the right area with imagery added to do the mapping.  It
currently uses
load_and_zoom<https://josm.openstreetmap.de/wiki/Help/RemoteControlCommands#load_and_zoom>
 and imagery remote control commands

I am looking for a way to send feature data to JOSM so that users can visualise
where they should be mapping or reviewing mapping done by others.  The features
don’t become OSM data, they are just a visual guide.

Is there a way for me to send data to JOSM to load over the remote command api?
 Or a way for me to get JOSM to request data from a URL?

I have investigated the options at
https://josm.openstreetmap.de/wiki/Help/RemoteControlCommands, but I haven’t
found a way to get this working.

So far the only way I have found is that users download a gpx from my app to their
computer, then do file>open in josm, but I want to see if there is a way to do
it without that manual download/upload.

You can e.g. use "load_data" or also "import" to pass a new layer containing the information.

Mark the XML data as upload=no or upload=never (since JOSM 11709) to prevent accidential uploads.

The XML can either (mis-)use the standard style or you invent own tags and supply an own display style rendering your tags like you want them to be.

Ciao