I copy here a post from OpenStreetMap Forum>Editors, to which I have received
no answer:
I have found the presence of Public Rights of Way .kml files in JOSM to be very
useful for comparative purposes.  One drawback is that they appear as grey
polylines.  I cannot see a facility to change colour, and wonder if anyone
knows differently?  A colour key is present with a hexadecimal value as an
attribute, but changing that has no effect.
NOTE: I have changed the colour codes in Notepad to no effect, either.

---