I created a topic here
https://forum.openstreetmap.org/viewtopic.php?pid=672431#p672431 almost a year
ago, regarding sudden lack of memory.
User Klumbumbus pointed me, helpfully, to josm.jnlp, which, the heap size
having been edited, solved the problem.  I discovered, a month ago, josm.jnlp
would not open.  Klumbumbus suggested downloading the current jnlp file from
the josm website, but this did not help.  It did not matter too much at the
time because josm.jar seemed to be working satisfactorily.  Trying to work with
it yesterday, however, was painful: Use of Bing aerial imagery causes any
actions to be so slow that I have to delete it each time I wish to carry out an
edit.  This is unacceptable in the longer term.
Klumbumbus wrote, “(Also note that since Java 11 jnlp files are not working
anymore at all since oracle removed this feature.)”, which I do not understand.
I cannot be the sole JOSM user experiencing this frustration.  I wonder,
therefore, what other solution exists?
With regards
Bob Hawkins

---