Prayer of the week: For the unity of the church (all denominations) under
the leadership of Jesus

Saturday, June 9, 2001

  Are You Full?

  Read: Ecclesiastes 6:7-12

  May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing. --
Romans 15:13

  Bible In One Year: Psalm 46-48

  As a boy, I laughed and cried as I read The Adventures Of Tom Sawyer and
Huckleberry Finn. I gave little thought to the author of these books,
though, until I saw a dramatised version of Mark Twain's life.

  Twain had his share of tragedy. He blamed himself for his younger
brother's death in a steamboat accident at age 20, and for the death of his
only son, who died from diphtheria at 19 months. He grieved bitterly over
the deaths of two of his daughters  one from meningitis at age 23 and one
from a heart attack at age 29.

  But instead of turning to God, Twain became bitter and pessimistic. When
he died at 74, he was desperately lonely, unhappy, and hopeless.

  Mark Twain had an emptiness that could not be satisfied with money and
fame. His success as a writer only increased his misery and sense of loss.
His life illustrates the folly of living without God, which is described in
Ecclesiastes 6:7-12. If only he had trusted Christ for salvation and looked
to Him for comfort and fulfillment!

  Have life's hardships left you feeling empty and bitter, or have they
strengthened your relationship with God and made you better? Turn in faith
to Christ, and "the God of hope [will] fill you with all joy and peace"
(Romans 15:13). -- HVL

The sun that hardens clay to brick
Can soften wax to shape and mold;
So too life's trials will harden some,
While others purify as gold. -- Sper

Life's trials should make us better -- not bitter.