Two thousand years ago there might have

happened a wonderful expression of love and that love was between a
Father and a Son.

The Father's name was Joseph . The son Jesus. There was a mother present
in that family and her name was Mary.

One day Joseph the carpenter came home from work. The family might have a
short talk.

Then Jospeh might have felt bad that day. Joseph might have asked his son
to come to his side. Mary too might have been beside Joseph.

Joseph said to his son, " Son I love you. I think it is time for me to
go."

Joseph looked at his wife Mary and might have said silently " I love you"

There was a million feelings. Then Joseph breathed his last. Joseph died
in the hands of Jesus.

Joseph might have died beside Our Blessed Mother.

Joseph might have died looking at Jesus. Joseph might have died looking
at God his creator. Joseph might have died talking to his God. I think at
that time of death truth might have been revealed to Joseph, the truth
about the salvific mission of Jesus.

An Angel might have wisphered to Joseph that "it is not mere a Jesus that
you behold. It is God in the person of Jesus that you see.

Blessed is the eyes that has seen what you see. Belssed are the ears that
hear what you hear."

Joseph said " I am happy that I was able to see you Jesus my God".

Here we talk in human terms. It may not be the same with Jesus and
Joseph. It could be thsat none of the abolve happened.

no matter what happened or not happened,

I am sure Joseph breahted his last in the presence of Jesus.

There may not have been any such dramatic conversation between Jesus and
the dying Joseph but Joseph died in the presence of Jesus and Mary and
many others

.

The many others didn't make much difference.

But the presence of Jesus made the difference in the death of Joseph..

Today also people die in the presence of Jesus and Mary

. Many people die saying "into your hands Lord I commend my spirit".

You might rememnber the many people that might have died in your
presence, in your family. Many or some of your friends may have died.

Many of them might have died in peace and many of them may have died in
desperation. It is also possible that you may not have witnessed even one
person die. When someone in your family died you may not have been
present. You wanted to be but you were away. It is considered to be a
great blessing to be by the death bed of your parents. It is a very
powerful moment. Time of death is a very truthful moment. The parents
give their blessings at the time of death if they are conscious whether
us children are present or absent but to be present to hear the blessings
pronounced is a great previlage. At times that powerful memeory is enough
to effect changes and to end many famiuly disputes.

I remember of a death. That is the death of my dad. My Mom and myself
were beside him when he died. I was fortunate enough to prepare him for
death. Prepared him to die in peace. I let him bless everyone. I let him
forgive everyone. I have anointed him, a reare chance, a blessing for a
son. I asked my Dad to bless me too. I will ever cherish that memory. A
very powerful moment . My dad wanted me to be by his death bed. He has
said that a couple of times and I thank God for giving him that
previlage. I journeyed from across the globe to be by my Dad as he died..

Now coming to Joseph

, he died in the presence of his son who is God. A look from Jesus was
enough for Joseph to be a saint Joseph. What a cleansing experieince to
live in the house with Jesus and Mary.

We too are given the same previlage to live in the presence of Jesus and
Mary. We are also given a chance to live in the presence of Joseph too.
We live in union with the Holy Family. We live in union with the Holy
Family.

Joseph died a happy death , probabaly in the hands of Jesus or Mary. A
blessed death.

I think that each and everyone of us may want to die in the presence and
protection of Jesus Mary and Joseph.

I have seen many people die. Have burried many people. Have also seen
many families denying my presence because aa a catholic priest is
considered at times or often as the angel of death.

I always pray that God be present at the time of each person's death.

I think we need to pray for that blessing too.

God Bless

Fr.Thomas Mathew

July 16 /2001.