Dear Justine and all JYs,
  I can understand what Justine (or his friend) feels
now. Because I felt the same, once before in my life.

  Let me share a personal experience. I was attending
a retreat and was praying for forgiveness. As friends
we had engaged in sin.. I have even lead people to
sin. Later you go back to get forgiveness from God
while the other person is still in 'sin'. That thought
put a heavy burden in my heart. I was praying in tears
for the other person. The father of the person whom I
was praying for was also present at the retreat and we
were sleeping on the same block. That night 'the
father' was talking with me and told that when he went
for the counseling they told him that there is an out
pouring of the Holy Spirit on this particular child of
him.
    He didn't have to tell me this. I know for certain
that our Lord was making sure that I go back from that
retreat with a peaceful heart. The Love and compassion
of our Lord is beyond all our understanding. He is the
one who is able to repair all the damages we make. We
are very short sighted to all see this. If you have
destroyed someone's toy car the Lord may not give that
back, instead he may give a mercedez.

   The FORMOST thing about forgiveness is that it
comes from the Lord. Only depending on His ability to
work on things, with faith, we just get back on to
Him.
With lots of Love and prayers
Saji Sebastian, NJ, USA.