Further to the recent discussion on drunkenness, I
have the following to add.

Drunkenness is the most effective weapon satan is
using in modern times to invade the kingdom of
God..Gods  own people.

In his letter to Galatians, St Paul is very specific
when he deals with the works of the fleshand the
fruits of the spirit.  The problem with us is that we
have our own way of looking at the works of the flesh
to our convenience. We look at the some of the works
of the flesh quite seriouslywhile  we look at some
others very lightly. For instance, all of us  do
admit that adultery is wrong.  But when we come to
drunkenness, our standards are different.  Why?  The
word of God is the word of Godand the Word is nothing
but the truth.

If anyone feels that a bit of drinking is permissible
and there is nothing wrong with it.for the sake of an
argument, cant we also say that a bit of adulterous
life is permissible!!!!! If one can have controlled
drinking, one can also have controlled adultery!!!!
Some might say that this is an extreme way of looking
at the whole issue.  Yesit is.  For the Word of God
has no in-between or middle-way stand.  It can be
only either a strong yes or a strong no.  There is
no yes-no in between.    I feel it is exactly this
in-between stand that is working havoc in our
catholic societies.

Here I would like to point out a pathetic situation of
our catholic societies.  Among the Christian
communities, catholics are becoming a laughing stock
of all others owing to our relaxed and so-called
modern approach to drinking and alcohol.  Dont you
know that you are the temple of the Holy Spirit?
This verse should resound in our hearts every moment
of our lives. Let us catholics wake up from our deep
slumber..We have many more miles to go before we can
really sleep.

Let us look at the issue in a very practical way.  Who
on earth has gained anything at all from drinking,
even if it is occasional!  The chances are that many
such people have turned addicts to alcohol.

I strongly object to what Lukas Stevens has written as
his personal opinion.that there is nothing wrong with
drinking during weddings and such celebrations. These
celebrations are rare opportunities that the Lord is
offering us to be His witnesses. And we have the great
responsibility to be His witnesses.  Lukas, how can
anyone be a witness and win people for the Gospel, if
he himself serves or encourages the serving of liquor
in any circumstance whatsoever.

It is high time that the Church takes up the whole
issue on top priority and lead the flock on the right
path.  Or, what can happen..Gal 5/21they shall not
inherit the kingdom of God.

Thanks and Prayers
Johny  Kuriakose - Bahrain
For regular News updates go to http://in.news.yahoo.com