?When you lie in silence on your beds
Offer the right sacrifices to the Lord
And put your trust in Him? Psalm 4.4

Psalm 4 is a good evening prayer . God works in us when we lie down and
rest. When we are awake and lie down in silence, thinking about many painful
or creative things, God is with us. God is inviting us to think properly and
to offer a Spiritual sacrifice.  Often times when we are silent our minds
wander and it may not be always the pleasant things that come to us. It is
possible that even non spiritual things work in us.  The psalmist is
inviting us to offer sacrifices to the Lord and to put our trust in our dear
God when we are in bed. Offering sacrifices is a very simple and intimate
thing in our lives. We might be able to offer sacrifices to our God. A very
intimate sacrifice is done in the Altar of our hearts.
Our homes and our beds are Holy dwellings of our God. God lives in our body
and mind. We are the temples of the Holy Spirit. Whether we are awake or
asleep we are in the Holy Presence of our God.
I think this attitude and awareness enables us to function differently from
what we might have been doing till today

Ruby?s life

I have heard from Ruby (real name is withheld) encouraging news. Ruby is
unmarried and a single mother. The father of the child visits with her and
the son. Ruby was touched at the downing of the World trade Center. She is
afraid for her life. She is frightened about the loss of her soul. She is
reminded of the Bible message ? even if you gain the whole world and if you
lose your soul what gain you have?

The other day the father of her child ,James ( real name is withheld) came
to visit with her and the child. They had a long chat in their bed. As he
forced her to sin with him she turned around and asked him.  ? Are you not
afraid. If you die in sin where will you go? I am not willing to go to hell
when I die.? Ruby was touched when the World Trade Center was downed under
terrorists attack.  Ruby was able to convince him that their bed is a sacred
place.  She read the psalm 4. And she trembled literally as she read the
verse 4. ? Tremble and sin not; reflect upon your beds? and exactly that is
what Ruby was able to do. She felt God touching her through this event of
the disastrous event in New York

God touched Ruby her son and her life style. She is tired of sins in her
life. Sins multiplied and their bed became sinful place.  But God touched
the same bed to make them turn around in the name of the Lord.
Repentance is in her heart. She is resolved not to sin. She was able to
convince James to return to the Lord.  He is also coming to see me. I think
such miracles are because of prayers and intercessions.  God uses His whips
to chastise the people.   People get tired of sinful lives and they turn
away from their sins and return to the Lord.

An Ash Wednesday prayer

Every year as I put ashes on people?s forehead on Ash Wednesday, I am
reminded of the prayer ? Turn away from sin and return to the Lord?. I think
Ruby is returning to the Lord.  Ruby is trusting n God  and returning  to
God. She knows that her bed is a Holy dwelling place of her God. Ruby is
worried about her son. She wants to set an example for her son. Many of you
as you read this live story might be up in arms to blame this woman and this
man who fathered a child but I am inviting you  to slow down. Jesus asked
the crowd of sinners to slow down. When an adulterous woman was caught in
the act of committing sin, what they did was to lead her   out of the city
and to stone her so she might die because that is the prescription in the
Mosaic Law.  Jesus intervened and said ? If you are clean you be the first
one to cast the stone at her? and no one stoned her.

Jesus invites us

I think Jesus invited them to look into their lives. The God in Jesus
touched their souls and made them aware of their illness, their sinfulness.
They turned away from committing a murder. Jesus saved them from killing a
person in His presence. God doesn?t want any of us to judge anyone and to
sin in His presence.

We are instructed in catholic ways but at times or often we are too
catholic. We condemn people and we make the lives of other people miserable.
  Very often we  talk about negativity. We are buried in the concept of sin
and shame and try to correct people and that makes the others stubborn and
sin again in their stubbornness.

You and me, we need people to change. We like to see people change. We are
upset if someone sins. But when we sin we are least bothered. Of course we
are bothered but we don?t want anyone to challenge and to judge us.

Now returning to Ruby I would say she is conscious of her life style. She is
changing. She wants to change but she cannot change alone. She wants her man
also to change so that there would be peace in life. She could go away and
marry another person and that is not possible in this juncture. But God
touched this man  James and he is changing his life style also. He is
trusting in God. ? Trust in God ? Psalm 4.4 . James is reflecting about the
sinfulness in bed and he now thinks that there must be a change in life
style. He is also conscious of his bed. Ruby was able to convince him that
their bed is a sacred place and that is the place where they have to reflect
about their sins and to offer sacrifices every evening. They are changing
their life styles now.  Praise God.

I would say another impact of the world trade center in the life of Ruby.
>From every negativity God uses his winnowing fan to separate the chaff from
the grains.  Ruby is wondering why such a thing had happened in her life.
Her parents are good Catholics and she herself is educated in catholic
school and she went to church every Sunday. James too went to church
regularly and they were faithful to the teaching  of the Church but they
couldn?t resist the temptation and fear amounted in their lives. Today God
abounds in their lives. God used this event, the downing of the World Trade
center to make them return to the Lord.

Please keep Ruby and James in your prayers.

Fr.Thomas Mathew
California
Sept 20/2001