Dear JOYnetters

Following is an article from Fr. Thomas Mathew currently in Manila,
Philippines.

sebastian thomas
Bahrain
========================

"All who believe in the Son of Man will have eternal life and I will raise
them to life again on the Last Day"   John 6.10

In the Philippines the First of November, All Saints Day, is celebrated as
All Souls day. This has a  cultural  intonation than an ecclesiastical
dimension. The whole of the Philippine Archipelago celebrates the First of
November as the day to remember their dead relatives and friends although
the Church  insists and teaches that the First of  November is All saints
day. Somehow the Church has cooperated with the traditions and culture of
the people. (I am trying to refresh my memories as I am in this wonderful
country the pearl of the Oreint.)

On the 30th of October Sr. Carmela, the Mother General of a Congregation who
was my former parishioner in Manila, asked me to celebrate Mass at the Tomb
of her parents. I  remember anointing her mom as her Mother was in critical
stage. On the 31st eveneing, Sr, Carmela came with a car and  her nephew
drove us to the cemetery. The traffic in the Philippines, especially in
Manila is beyond anyone's imagination.  I think there are more cars than the
capacity of the roads and  the  traffic system  needs to be revamped. It
seems that no one likes to stop at the red light.

Jeepneys

As we reached the Cemetery at Caloocan City, at the suburb of Manila, we had
to drive through narrow roads where children played  unmindful of the cars ,
jeepeneys( jeepneys are special to the Philipines. They are special jeeps
and very colorful. The jeepneys are well decorated and this is the common
man's transportation. The Jeepneys  reminds one of  the colorful Island
culture of the Philippines. I think the attraction to colors and sound is
very common among the Islanders. At times, I have to leave some of the
jeepneys because of sound pollution. The drivers keep the speakers full
blast and that hurts me so I had to leave two jeepneys even yesterday that
pligh along Tandang Sora route, in Quezon City.( I love this land and
culture so the comments I make are in no way intended to downgrade the
Filipino culture. I am trying to state what I  observe.)

At one point as we were driving to the cemetry, the  driver stopped for a
couple of minutes as two young girls sat in the midle of the  already
crowded street, playing in the mud. One has to be mindful that we were in
one of the poorer and crowded sections.   I  admire the patience of the
driver. Although many cars, trucks, and tricyles were sounding horns , the
children were not affected and we waited till the children got off the road
and then continued the journey. On either side of the street, leading to the
cemetry there were flower shops, food stalls, candles for sale, and I
enjoyed watching them as I was away for more than a decade from this culture
on this particular day.

We reached the gate to the cemetry and the cemetry might be more than
hundred acres of land. The whole cemetry was filled with tombs. There were
even people living on top of the  tombs. Some of the squatters found place
among the dead. I think people are not mindful of the dead anymore. The
children walked unafraid of the cemetery atmosphere and Mother Carmela
reflected " I think these children live in this place,because they seem to
be quite at peace with this place"

We reached the tomb of Motehr Carmela's parents.That was a huge musolium,as
big as a house even with two comfort rooms (The CR is for the family members
who visit the tomb.) There was a care taker for this tomb. The inside of the
musolium was clean and  well lit.
There was an altar too.  We were suposed to start the celebraton of the Holy
Mass at 6.30 PM but  we were the only people from that family at that time.
Mother Carmela recieved a text message in her cell phone. ( The Filipino
peole like to send text messages than to speak  through the cell phone.  To
send a text mesage costs only One dollar per transmission) The messsage read
that the rest of the family is on their way. We waited. One of her sisters
and her husband who is  medical doctor appeared at 8.30 P.M. The rest of the
family came by 9.45 P.M and we started the Mass  near the tomb. The passers
by paused for a while and mentioend " They have a priest' which meant that
the others were not able to get a priest to go with them to their relatives
tombs.

In that huge cemetry there are rich and poor and the poor  are burried in
the ground and the rich have even  air conditioned tombs.  There is a
Chinese cemetry nearer to the one we were in and  some of the tombs look
like mansions and most of them are Air Conditioned too. I dont say that the
tombs are air conditioned rather the musolium  is Air Conditioned.

By the time we finished the Holy Mass, it was late and  I was surprised to
see vendors inside the cemetry. There were children sleeping on the tombs
and all kinds of vehicles were in the cemetry.

The next day in the morning I set out for "Himlayang Filippino",another
cemetry  situated in my former Parish. I was given a lift by the driver of
the parish priest and the Parish priest was saying Mass in the Cemetry
Chapel like what I did last night. This time when we went to the cemetry,
the people from the parish had food packed.

It is customary for the Filippino people to bring along food to the cemetry.
They eat and drink including alcohol in the cemetry. People play cards and
have  their radios and it is like a fiesta ground.  I felt that the dead  do
not  feel lonely in the Filippino cemeteries at least once an year. People
sit the whole day there  telling stories and praying for the dead. I think
the dead people are briefed of every development in the family once an year
as the whole family comes to the cemetery. There could be  grand children
and  other relatives the deceased have never seen..

It was interesting that as I was walking through the cemetry looking for the
graves of the people I have burried, people , many parishioners recognized
me and started requesting me to pray for their relaties.

I do remmber gratefully visting the tomb of Mr and Mrs Rafael Hizon. They
loved me  as one of their children. It was Mrs. Hizon who built the Church
at Culiat where I was.  I was not able to come to her funeral in 1999. In
1999 Mrs Hizon whom I used to Call Mommy Hizon, died at the age of eighty
eight. In 1998 she  accompanied me to the Manila Air port and she asked me "
Will I see you Again"  and she cried. She kised me good bye and I still
remember her waving at me as i entered the Air Port. Her comment  was very
prophetical . I didnt get a chance to see her before she died and this is
the next chance I got  to close the grief  as  I visited her tomb. I  prayed
and placed a flower at her tomb. I felt that she came up from the tomb with
her usual smile telling me " Son I thank you very muich for coming". I felt
emotional at that moment and even as I write this.

Many other people's tombs I visited. It was very warm that day. Usually it
rained on the first of Novemebr but this year it was exceptionally warm. I
returned to my former parish tired  but was not hungry because I had to eat
with most of the families at  the cemetry. For the Filippino people to
refuse to partake in their meal is a  big offence. Mindful of their culture
and spirit, I tasted food  as the families offered me . As I was journeying
back to my residence, I was wondering when I might get another chance to see
this day in the Philippines. It took more than a decade to return on this
special day to this land.

During the evening Mass, I remembered all my deceased friends from the
parish and  the verse from St. John was a great consolation. " All who
believe in the Son of Man will have eternal life and I will raise them
again on the last Day" John 6.10

I celebrated the All soul's day on the First of november in the Philippine
Islands, a day to remember fondly. I thank God for this
great gift.

Fr Thomas Mathew
Manila , Philipines.