Hello JOYneters,
This is a summary of the class taken by Alicekutty at the November Thejas (
JY Bible School)
(the stuff in the brackets are mine. pls excuse it :)

Introductory session: What is the relevance of the Word of God in  our lives?

"Ignorance of the Word of God, is ignorance of Christ"
                                                                        --
St. Jerome

Even before the universe was built, God had a plan for our
lives.  Definitely, because...
"The glory of God is man fully alive" - John Powell.
We are familiar with the wonderful verse, Ephesians 1:4
"For He chose us in Him before the creation of the world to be holy and
blameless in His sight" ( Wow! It is so encouraging and exciting to think
that this happened even before the Big Bang!) Therefore, God's plan for
each person is to experience the Kingdom of god.
How do we discern God's plan?What do we do to gain these spiritual
blessings? or eternal life (put it in any way u like) questioned the rich
young man.

God in His mercy has revealed certain mysteries (paradox!!) that will guide
us in our walk.
And all that is available to us in the Bible.

So, for God's aforementioned plan to work out in our lives, we've to
receive  the Word of God.
As our light. As the lamp unto our feet and the light unto our path.

Yet, we can remain unconvinced of the power of the Word in our lives.
(Intellectually atheistic? hmm :(
Certainly, for God's will to work out beautifully in us, we need to empty
ourselves and fill
our hearts and mind with the Word. AND, to receive it we've to believe the
truth of the scriptures. For, God always requires human co-operation for
His plan of salvation to become real.
Divine-Human partnership.

(oh-oh, what about doubting Thomases like me?) How does one acquire(if that
word can be used) this faith?

Let's look at Romans 10:17 "Consequently, faith comes from hearing the
message, and the message is heard through the word of  Christ". It's a
cycle. Our faith in God is born when we co-operate by 1) Listening to the
Word 2) Believing it will come true in our lives.

Then again, to make this faith response, we need to be like little
children. We need to trust God to build up our faith.
"Be like little children, for theirs is the Kingdom of Heaven".
God does not call us to be inflated with theology, but to live it in the
simplicity of little children.

Practical Work:

- Personalise or DO the Word . Think about how to apply it to life.
-Be careful. Jesus asks us not to obey certain precepts or laws but to
IMITATE Him. Live Jesus.

Useful Verses:

Hebrews 4:12 - Indeed, the word of God is living and effective, sharper
than any two-edged sword, penetrating even between soul and spirit, joints
and marrow, and able to discern reflections and thoughts of the heart.

John 3:16-For God so loved the world that he gave his only Son, so that
everyone who believes
  in him might not perish but might have eternal life.

  Mt. 22:29-Jesus said to them in reply, "You are misled because you do not
know the scriptures or
  the power of God.

2Cr. 13:5-Examine yourselves to see whether you are living in faith. Test
yourselves.
Do you not realize that Jesus Christ is in you?--unless, of course, you
fail the test.

Jn. 15:7-If you remain in me and my words remain in you, ask for whatever
you want and it
will be done for you.

  And finally, Psalm 119 & Isaiah 55(read this in ur own Bible. It is too
loooooooong to be put in here. Good for meditation)

    to be continued    .  .  .