i am a law student doing my postgraduation in Bangalore. during the past
few days, i happened to receive mails from other friends in jy and also
saw in the joynet the news on the endeavour to scrap the Medical
Termination of Pregnancy Act in kerala.

please keep in mind that even though i am not a Catholic(i'm Orthodox), i
have full respect towards the Catholic Church as it stands today and my
statements are not made with a view to disparage any organisation ,
institiution or movement and should not be tried to be read between the
lines. this is just an opinion from the legal perspective, as a student
of human rights in the present epoch of time.

it is my view that the point is that the presence of such an Act gives
the freedom to choose to individual, which is a symbol of a
non-restrictive society where the freedom of choice can be freely
excercised. i doubt whether the Act will be scrapped as such, as the
scrapping of such an Act would symbolise going back to the Dark Ages
where the Catholic Church imposed restrictions in all walks of personal
and spititual life .....even in muslim countries in the present day one
can find legal systems  which mix religion and morals with law.

.however, law is different from beliefs. law has to take into account a
variety of beliefs prevalent in society and attempt to strike a just
balance between the conflicting interests, be it the ideas of various
religious groups or atheist groups, or the human rights of the fetus or
the mother .....

of course, this does not mean that i, personally, as a Christian
believer, consent to abortion as a matter of principle .but , as a
lawyer, i do not think that law should force people to do something which
is up to their personal freedom to decide. Even God has that attitude
when He says somewhere in the Bible,"i have put before you two ways,
blessing(good) and curse(evil), life and death. choose blessing and
life,  if you will" or words to that effect......in essence, He says that
He is not restricting your freedom to choose evil, though He would
definitely prefer you to choose good. the question naturally arises as to
 why God has done like this...IF He is God, then why not make people
choose good alone?....the answer lies in that it's because He is  a just
God and He has created man in His likeness and image which includes the
capicity of full exercise of all rights, which includes the right to
freedom of choice..! ... that is why He has made such a categorical
statement as above.

the remedy lies with us Christians...are we prepared to take the
commitment of on a personal not committing abortion or practicing
abortive or anti-fetal activities that snuff out life, and on a community
level of promoting respect towards the right to life of the unborn
through outreacha nd educative practises, and also on the spiritual realm
of waging war on these elements through fasting and prayer on an
individual or corporate basis.......herein lies the challenge---to will
to choose blessing, rather than snuffing out the right to choose curse.

this is my humble personal opinion on this issue....i'm sure to hear a
lot of dissent from the religious community with regard to this
position...whether abortion is tantamount to murder is also a disputed
issue in law as there are disputing views of various pressure groups as
to the existence of life as a human being  in an embryo and when exactly
does life as a human being start in a fetus so as to grant it human
rights...science has not given any concrete view so far as to when life
as a human being starts---there are again conflicting views on this ,
according to each pressure group.it is the responsibility of the lawmaker
to glean an impartial and truthful opinion as to these issues,which is a
very  difficult and contoversial issue again.....so, a compromise has to
be struck somewhere.

as law -makers, it is unfair to favour the views of only a particular
pressure group or group of individuals. as Christians, we cannot impose
our views on others just because we know that we are right and they are
wrong. let's not use the ostrich -which -buries -it's -head -in -the
-sand  approach----much hue and cry will ensue as certain sections of
society will say that it is better to have legal abortion and save the
health of the mother than have illegal abortion and let both woman and
fetus die--these are arguments that have been well thrashed out over the
years and there is no need for me repeating them.all that i can say is
that law cannot and should not restrict the individual  freedom of a
human being  to choose evil ...

our God is a  God of justice , 'who gives rain to  the just and the
unjust',  and God has given man, (who is created in His image and
likeness and endowed with all rights) every right to  enjoy total freedom
--freedom to follow the devil or Him . that is why He did not prevent the
devil from rebelling, nor does He prevent the devil from trying to
deceive us....as human beings, we have every right to choose.... please
choose life and blessing , if you will, as I wish this for you...that is
all our dear Abba says, nothing more, nothing less ,as He is Ultimate
Truth and Ultimate Justice. ...(this is based on the theological theory
on the jurisprudence of human rights which one of my  classmates has
evolved ....)

so it is up to the moral elements in society to guide the people to
exercise their freedom of choice in the best possible manner so as to
bring about individual and social edification...

so the whole responsibility lies on us-those chosen people of God to
spread His plea to choose good and not evil--and on us alone....imagine
the tremendous responsibility and the personal accountability of each one
of us 'renewed' and 'believers' have towards Him ,which cannot be waived
by any law...

lina