>From: "Joby Thomas" >Reply-To: "Joby Thomas" >To: "Lina Mathew"
>Subject: Re: >Date: 1 Dec 2001 19:48:40 -0000 > > > >Dear friends in
Christ, > >My name is Joby Thomas and I am an associate working with an
american multinational at NOIDA. > >I'd like to voice my opinion to what
Lina has written. No doubt she has used the best language and the
knowledge acquired thru her studies of human rights and law. I appreciate
the writing skills but i'm afraid i beg to differ from the opinion of the
writer. > >While it is true that God does give us the freedom to choose
between the good and the evil...He is always anticipating that we decide
in favour of the former.This is precisely because He is a Just God. He
cannot be partial in saving a particular person by overlooking the wrongs
that he might have committed. > >Moreover scripture reads quite clearly,
if a person leads his brother or sister to sin, it would be better that a
milestone his tied around his neck and he be drowned in the sea. Going by
this scripture any subject or object(be it a law) that leads persons into
sinning should be done away with. > >Remember when God asked Cane about
his brother and he in reply asked God whether he was his brother's
caretaker...God replied, "Your brother's blood is crying out from the
ground for justice". God will no doubt condemn the unjust be it law or
man because HE is indeed a just God. > >My question is why does law
prohibit murder or adultery or other such crimes? Well the individual has
the right to choose Good or evil...isn't it? What is the difference
between killing a human person who is one day old or one who is just 3
months in the mother's womb. BOTH ARE COLD BLOODED AND BRUTAL MURDER.
HENCE, THE OFFENCE IS EQUALLY PUNISHABLE GOING BY THE PRINCIPLES OF
JUSTICE and LAW. MTP IS A HIGHLY SOPHISTICATED MEDICAL JARGON FOR A
HEINOUS AND BARBAROUS ACT OF PUTTING AN END TO LIFE. AND THIS BY NO MEANS
SHOULD BE PERMITTED.ON THE CONTRARY, I WOULD STRONGLY RECOMMEND A STRONG
PUNISHMENT TO THIS OFFENCE SO THAT PEOPLE ARE DISCOURAGED FROM COMMITTING
IT. > >The right to freedom should be exercised in the right perspective,
in order to promote and preserve life and not to destroy it. > >I am
extremely pleased on learning about the efforts to scrap the MTP act. I
sincerely hope and pray that the Government would pass laws condemning
and making the act a punishable offence. > >regards to one and
all..........joby > >Scripture says >On Sat, 01 Dec 2001 Lina Mathew
wrote : > > i am a law student doing my postgraduation in > > Bangalore.
during the past > > few days, i happened to receive mails from other > >
friends in jy and also > > saw in the joynet the news on the endeavour to
scrap > > the Medical > > Termination of Pregnancy Act in kerala. > > > >
please keep in mind that even though i am not a > > Catholic(i'm
Orthodox), i > > have full respect towards the Catholic Church as it > >
stands today and my > > statements are not made with a view to disparage
any > > organisation , > > institiution or movement and should not be
tried to be > > read between the > > lines. this is just an opinion from
the legal > > perspective, as a student > > of human rights in the
present epoch of time. > > > > it is my view that the point is that the
presence of > > such an Act gives > > the freedom to choose to
individual, which is a symbol > > of a > > non-restrictive society where
the freedom of choice can > > be freely > > excercised. i doubt whether
the Act will be scrapped as > > such, as the > > scrapping of such an Act
would symbolise going back to > > the Dark Ages > > where the Catholic
Church imposed restrictions in all > > walks of personal > > and
spititual life .....even in muslim countries in the > > present day one >
> can find legal systems  which mix religion and morals > > with law. > >
> > .however, law is different from beliefs. law has to > > take into
account a > > variety of beliefs prevalent in society and attempt to > >
strike a just > > balance between the conflicting interests, be it the >
> ideas of various > > religious groups or atheist groups, or the human
rights > > of the fetus or > > the mother ..... > > > > of course, this
does not mean that i, personally, as a > > Christian > >
believer, consent to abortion as a matter of > > principle .but , as a >
> lawyer, i do not think that law should force people to > > do something
which > > is up to their personal freedom to decide. Even God has > >
that attitude > > when He says somewhere in the Bible,"i have put before
> > you two ways, > > blessing(good) and curse(evil), life and death.
choose > > blessing and > > life,  if you will" or words to that
effect......in > > essence, He says that > > He is not restricting your
freedom to choose evil, > > though He would > > definitely prefer you to
choose good. the question > > naturally arises as to > >  why God has
done like this...IF He is God, then why > > not make people > > choose
good alone?....the answer lies in that it's > > because He is  a just > >
God and He has created man in His likeness and image > > which includes
the > > capicity of full exercise of all rights, which > > includes the
right to > > freedom of choice..! ... that is why He has made such a > >
categorical > > statement as above. > > > > the remedy lies with us
Christians...are we prepared to > > take the > > commitment of on a
personal not committing abortion or > > practicing > > abortive or
anti-fetal activities that snuff out life, > > and on a community > >
level of promoting respect towards the right to life of > > the unborn >
> through outreacha nd educative practises, and also on > > the spiritual
realm > > of waging war on these elements through fasting and > > prayer
on an > > individual or corporate basis.......herein lies the > >
challenge---to will > > to choose blessing, rather than snuffing out the
right > > to choose curse. > > > > this is my humble personal opinion on
this issue....i'm > > sure to hear a > > lot of dissent from the
religious community with regard > > to this > > position...whether
abortion is tantamount to murder is > > also a disputed > > issue in law
as there are disputing views of various > > pressure groups as > > to the
existence of life as a human being  in an embryo > > and when exactly > >
does life as a human being start in a fetus so as to > > grant it human >
> rights...science has not given any concrete view so far > > as to when
life > > as a human being starts---there are again conflicting > > views
on this , > > according to each pressure group.it is the > >
responsibility of the lawmaker > > to glean an impartial and truthful
opinion as to these > > issues,which is a > > very  difficult and
contoversial issue again.....so, a > > compromise has to > > be struck
somewhere. > > > > as law -makers, it is unfair to favour the views of >
> only a particular > > pressure group or group of individuals. as
Christians, > > we cannot impose > > our views on others just because we
know that we are > > right and they are > > wrong. let's not use the
ostrich -which -buries -it's > > -head -in -the > > -sand
approach----much hue and cry will ensue > > as certain sections of > >
society will say that it is better to have legal > > abortion and save
the > > health of the mother than have illegal abortion and let > > both
woman and > > fetus die--these are arguments that have been well > >
thrashed out over the > > years and there is no need for me repeating
them.all > > that i can say is > > that law cannot and should not
restrict the individual > >  freedom of a > > human being  to choose evil
... > > > > our God is a  God of justice , 'who gives rain to > >
 the just and the > > unjust',  and God has given man, (who is created in
His > > image and > > likeness and endowed with all rights) every right
to  > > enjoy total freedom > > --freedom to follow the devil or Him .
that is why He > > did not prevent the > > devil from rebelling, nor does
He prevent the devil > > from trying to > > deceive us....as human
beings, we have every right to > > choose.... please > > choose life and
blessing , if you will, as I wish this > > for you...that is > > all our
dear Abba says, nothing more, nothing less ,as > > He is Ultimate > >
Truth and Ultimate Justice. ...(this is based on the > > theological
theory > > on the jurisprudence of human rights which one of my > >
 classmates has > > evolved ....) > > > > so it is up to the moral
elements in society to guide > > the people to > > exercise their freedom
of choice in the best possible > > manner so as to > > bring about
individual and social edification... > > > > so the whole responsibility
lies on us-those chosen > > people of God to > > spread His plea to
choose good and not evil--and on us > > alone....imagine > > the
tremendous responsibility and the personal > > accountability of each one
> > of us 'renewed' and 'believers' have towards Him ,which > > cannot be
waived > > by any law... > > > > lina > > > >