In the context of the on-going controversy over human
cloning, I want to pose a theological question to you:

Assume that the cloned human embryo is implanted into
a woman's uterus and gets born as a human baby (a.k.a.
Dolly the sheep).

My question is: Will it have a soul (atma)?

The answer is simple: Now there are two possibilities:
Either yes or no. How will we know either way? If it
has a conscience (i.e. an instinctive knowledge of
right and wrong), and if it can be imparted value
education, then it can be concluded that it has a
soul; in which case, it is a full human being, blessed
by God, and entitled to all the fundamental rights. If
on the other hand it does not have a conscience/soul,
it will merely be a highly intelligent animal, without
the rights/protections applicable to human beings; in
which case, its exploitation for medical purposes may
be justified, subject to the same safeguards that are
applied in use of animals in research.

Sojan K.J.

=====
MUMBAI ,INDIA