Well I don’t know how far the discussion reg dowry has
reached as I still have many unread mails due to heavy
work schedule .But  I still  wanna add  a few pts of
to this Topic  ..thank u Priya  joy ,,,she has been
asking  me to write at Jy esp. abt this very topic.
She says  wants to hear from  the Goan Gal of Jy .
So my dear Jys Here I Open my big mouth :

We Goenkars (goans )  have something called DENE
(Konkani  word).English Word trousseau—Getup of  the
Bride
The Real & meaning being(at least for me  ) : Dowry

Goan gals at a very young age are taught to collect
things for Dene .Every  small thing is collected for
the Dene
 There is something else that accompanies Dene called
"BOL".A sweet given to the husbands folks as that they
can distribute the same to whole village  after
marriage (hey guys I am talking abt village ok) In
Mumbai  no one has the  time for this.Accompanying
Bols (which r  Jaggerey & coconut & flour  sweets) are
given  bananas Hey what’s the big deal one may
say???Only sweets na ???

BOL & bananas make a great Deal  when they  are
demanded  in thousands Imagine thousands of  Bananas &
Bols .What a pity !!!!!This is no cheesy affair

 But Dene is a compulsory part of the tradition of the
wedding .So it remains standard every where .Its
usually taken a day before the marriage that the gals
take it to her to be in laws place.Her things are then
 displayed ..,,,relatives & friends are invited to
have a look at the things .The things that are
displayed are from  Gold…to beauty aids ..clothes
..furniture sanitary ware etc.There are various
comments passed out there . .Some old aunty will then
pass a comment.." This chocker seems to be
light"…."Ohh just 6 bangles".Then the money on the
Table kept is closely observed by many ."KAI VORNO NA"
(..she taken nothing ) is heard most of the time .

Some young gals will come to check out for the latest
things ..Pattern of the dress.. What make up kit???
…The number of Pillow covers the bride is taking
..what pattern for the crochet ???The things are then
taken to her husbands place .Its the same displayable
procedure  there too….In fact here is where the real
scrutiny takes place …If there is match in the demands
the brides people  are taken inside a room & given a
“Mouth Full:”

What a pity!!!!!I have seen this happening in my
family too .In fact there are instances where I have
seen my uncles crying for the same .Anyway this is as
far demands are  not met. But In case of the things
are up to the satisfactory level…the Brides folks can
expect some respect from the Groom side.

When I look back & think on all this .. I often ask
find me asking my ownself.Does this type of behavior
beseem us  Christians -the followers  of Christ . I
ask my people around y this show .They tell me its not
a dowry system …its Just Trousseau   ....all this is
for the Gal na .

 For me ..there is no difference betn a Trousseau
(dene) & dowry…. If this so called Trousseau  or dowry
(what soever it may be) can cause pain & grudges &
fights at the weddings ,,  ,does this at  all  comes
from GOD????  Hey I personally  feel that this comes
from none other then DEVIL ,,,yaar……

The mails, I read earlier talked a lot abt things
happening in Kerela.Whether  its  Kearla or Goa it’s
..is the same  Parents pain &  tears everywhere.

 Well I am not against any tradition Or culture ..They
are good as long as there is  there is  peace &  joy..
(the gifts of the Holy Spirit) around .

As for me.. I  think it a high time to break these
Sickening Rules  .MY personal things are mine ..no one
has the right to comment abt what I am taking  to my
new House .I have taken the first step  against
practice  ..pls keep me in your prayers ..i need them
..cos its not so easy as I think  to break a Tradition
.

(Jesus also had a hard time breaking evil  traditions
too)

 What all I have written is a just a general & my
personal view ..I know of Guys & gals who have Had The
courage To say NO to this system.. Praise God for the
same!!!!!!1

But All boils down to one Fact .

IT’S THE MAN & the WOMAN in marriage  .They are the
one who can MAKE  or MAR  the sanctity of marriage .

In Jesus

Welchy

Mumbai

(Hey I am open to corrections ..!!!!)