One day, when I was a freshman in high school, I saw
a kid
from my class was walking home from school. His name
was Kyle. It
looked  like he was carrying all of his books. I
thought to myself, "Why
would  anyone  bring home all his books on a Friday?
He must really be a
nerd. I  had  quite a weekend planned(parties and a
football game with
my friends tomorrow  afternoon),  so  I shrugged my
shoulders and went on.
As I was walking, I saw a  bunch of  kids running
toward him. They ran
at him, knocking all his books  out  of  his  arms
and tripping him so he
landed in the dirt. His glasses went  flying,  and I
saw them land in the grass about ten feet from him.
He
looked up and I saw this terrible sadness in his
eyes. My
heart went out to  him.
So, I jogged over to him and as he crawled around
looking
for  his glasses,  I saw a tear in his eye. As I
handed him his glasses, I
said,  "Those  guys  are jerks. They really should get
lives." He looked at me
and  said,  "Hey  thanks!" There was a big smile on
his face. It was one of
those  smiles that showed real gratitude. I helped
him pick up his
books,  and  asked him where he lived.
As it turned out, he lived near me, so I asked him
why I
had  never  seen  him  before. He said he had gone to
private school before now. I
would  have  never  hung out with a private school
kid before. We talked all the
way  home,  and  I  carried some of his books. He
turned out to be a
pretty cool kid. I asked him if he wanted to play a
little  football
with  my friends. He said yes.
We hung out all weekend and the more I got to know
Kyle, the
more  I  liked  him, and my friends thought the same
of him. Monday morning
came,and  there  was Kyle with the huge stack of
books again. I stopped him
and said,  "Boy,  you are gonna really build some
serious muscles with this
pile  of  books  everyday!" He just laughed and handed
me half the books.
Over  the  next  four  years, Kyle and I became best
friends.
When we were seniors, we began to think about
college. Kyle
decided  on  Georgetown, and I was going to Duke. I
knew that we would
always be  friends,  that the miles would never be a
problem. He was going to be
a doctor,  and  I  was going for business on a
football scholarship.
Kyle was valedictorian of our class. I teased him all
the
time about being  a  nerd. He had to prepare a speech
for graduation. I was so
glad  it  wasn't  me  having to get up there and
speak.
Graduation day, I saw Kyle. He looked great. He was
one of
those  guys  that  really found himself during high
school. He filled out and
actually  looked good in glasses. He had more dates
than I had and all the
girls  loved  him.  Boy, sometimes I was jealous.
Today was one of those days. I
could see  that  he was nervous about his speech. So,
I smacked him on the
back  and  said,  "Hey, big guy, you'll be great!" He
looked at me with one of
those looks  the  really grateful one) and smiled.
"Thanks," he said.
As he started his speech, he cleared his throat, and
began.
"Graduation is  a  time to thank those who helped you
make it through those
tough  years.  Your  parents, your teachers, your
mostly  your  friends. I am here to tell all of you
that being a friend to
someone is the best gift you can give them. I am
going to
tell you a  story."
I just looked at my friend with disbelief as he told
the
story of  the  first day we met. He had planned to
kill himself over the weekend.
He talked  of how he had cleaned out his locker so
his Mom wouldn't have
to do  it  later  and was carrying his stuff home. He
looked hard at me and
gave  me  a  little  smile. "Thankfully, I was saved.
My friend saved me from
doing  the  unspeakable." I heard the gasp go through
the crowd as this
handsome,  popular boy told us all about his weakest
moment.
I saw his Mom and Dad looking at me and smiling that
same
grateful  smile.  Not until that moment did I realize
it's depth. Never
underestimate  the  power of your actions. With one
small gesture you can change
a  person's  life. For better or for worse. God puts
us all in each other's
lives  to impact one another in some way. Look for
God in others.