As she opened her diamond necklace she was overcome with joy. “You shouldn’t
have!” she said, “But, I’m certainly glad you did.”

    He unwrapped the box inside the box inside the box inside the box inside
the box, and finally he worked his way to the tiny box containing a key to
his new car. As he went to the driveway and unlocked the door he said, “You
shouldn’t have!” he said, “But, man am I glad you did!”

    She was dreading spending her first Christmas all alone, and her
children called to say they were not going to be able to get there this
year. There were just too many things going on. She understood and prepared
to make the best of a difficult situation. She was curious when the doorbell
rang so late in the day, but when she peeked through the window to see who
it was she was thrilled. There they stood, children and grandchildren,
smiling and bearing gifts. As she opened the door tears were flowing down
her face and she said, “You shouldn’t have! You shouldn’t have. But, I am so
very glad you did!”

“I am so very glad you did!”
    He was preparing to eat alone like he had done every Christmas since his
wife has died. So, he was shocked when he went to the door and saw the
family from his church standing there with gifts, a full meal, and singing,
“We Wish You a Merry Christmas.” He knew this year would be different. He
was glad he would not be alone. “You shouldn’t have!” he said with a quiver
in his voice. “But, I’m real glad you did!”

    I could not stop thinking about all the things I had done wrong. Unkind
words. Selfish attitudes. Sins I had committed. I had been a lousy example.
I did not feel very good about myself. Then, I heard the story again.
“Immanuel. God with us.” “To seek and save the lost.” “The blind receive
sight, the lame are walking, the imprisoned are set free, and good news to
the poor.” “I have come that you might have life and have it to the full.”
“It is finished!” “He is risen!” “Peace be with you!” Tears filled my eyes.
I fell to my knees and I cried, “Lord, you shouldn’t have! But, I am
eternally grateful you did.”

    Enjoy His gift and Merry Christmas!