Dear Friends,

Wait until they get hurt and their true color will come out. For example
fasting which is an effective means of sacrifice is done more out of conceit
to gain the praise of others and not to actually repair for ones sins. Once
the person gets week, hungry, and sick he stops fasting altogether.

    This is also true for almsgiving. Unfortunately not all fasting and
almsgiving are done with real generosity. Only when giving becomes painful,
when the self begins to hurt, does almsgiving become authentic.

    In the case of obeying God’s will it should not only be done for as long
as it is honorable and convenient. When misfortune hits us and we are left
homeless, hungry, without money, and abandoned by our very own kin then also
we should obey God’s will. (See the example of Job)

       Lastly, the true color of a Christian is tested when perfection of
one’s duty is demanded. A married woman continues to be a loving mother and
a dutiful wife 24 Hours a day because she has said “ in sickness or in
health, in good times and in bad. ”. The same applies to the religious who
must remain faithful to his vows regardless of whether life inside the
congregation is hell or not. No ifs or buts. It is to God that he has
committed himself and not man. (Fr. Binge Arellano)

Bensilal Chacko
DE, USA