Therese Martin was the last of nine children born to Louis and Zelie Martin on January
2, 1873, in Alencon France. However, only five of these children lived to reach
adulthood. Precocious and sensitive, Therese needed much attention. Her mother died
when she was 4 years old. As a result, her father and sisters babied young Therese.
She had a spirit that wanted everything.
At the age of 14, on Christmas Eve in 1886, Therese had a conversion that transformed
her life. From then on, her powerful energy and sensitive spirit were turned toward
love, instead of keeping herself happy. At 15, she entered the Carmelite convent in
Lisieux to give her whole life to God. She took the religious name Sister Therese of
the Child Jesus and the Holy Face. Living a hidden, simple life of prayer, she was
gifted with great intimacy with God. Through sickness and dark nights of doubt and
fear, she remained faithful to God, rooted in his merciful love. After a long struggle
with tuberculosis, she died on September 30, 1897, at the age of 24. Her last words
were the story of her life: "My God, I love You!"

The world came to know Therese through her autobiography, Story of a Soul. She
described her life as a "little way of spiritual childhood." She lived each day with
an unshakeable confidence in God's love. "What matters in life," she wrote, "is not
great deeds, but great love." She lived and taught a spirituality of attending to
everyone and everything well and with love. She believed that just as a child becomes
enamored with what is before her, we should also have a childlike focus and totally
attentive love. Therese's spirituality is of doing the ordinary, with extraordinary
love.

Therese saw the seasons as reflecting the seasons of God's love affair with us. She
loved flowers and saw herself as the "little flower of Jesus," who gave glory to God
by just being her beautiful little self among all the other flowers in God's garden.
Because of this beautiful analogy, the title "little flower" remained with St.
Therese.

Her ins
aven touched many people very quickly. She was canonized by Pope Pius XI on May 17,
1925. Had she lived, she would have been only 52 years old when she was declared a
Saint.

"My mission - to make God loved - will begin after my death," she said. "I will spend
my heaven doing good on earth. I will let fall a shower of roses." Roses have been
described and experienced as Saint Therese's signature. Countless millions have been
touched by her intercession and imitate her "little way." She has been acclaimed "the
greatest saint of modern times." In 1997, Pope John Paul II declared St. Therese a
Doctor of the Church - the only Doctor of his pontificate - in tribute to the powerful
way her spirituality has influenced people all over the world.

The message of St. Therese is beautiful, inspiring and simple.