Today's Scriptures:
Wisdom 2:1a, 12-22
Ps 34:17-21 and 23
John 7:1-2, 10, 25-30
http://www.nccbuscc.org/nab/031502.htm

Reflection:
There are many ways in which Jesus presents Himself to us. Most of them are
unexpected. Sometimes we don't even recognize Him.

The people in today's Gospel reading failed to recognize Jesus as the
Messiah
because they had EXPECTATIONS of what the Messiah would be like. Sheesh!
Expectations can sure mislead us! Yes, we can expect God to love us and do
good for us, but when we have expectations about HOW and through WHOM He
should love us and do good for us, we usually end up disappointed and
feeling
abandoned.

Jesus is present when we suffer, but if we expect Him to remove our pain
quickly to prove He cares about us, we will fail to recognize what He is
doing
that is more loving. We want short-cuts to healing and short-cuts to
happiness, but God knows when this would be detrimental for us. Despite what
our expectations insist upon, He is present to us in the long-term plan, for
which someday we'll be very grateful.

Jesus also comes to us in the people we don't like, but since we don't
expect
Him to show up in jerks and other sinners, we reject Him. It takes effort to
find Jesus in persons who are behaving very unChrist-like. But He is there.
He
is teaching us to love the unlovable.

Jesus comes to us in many illogical ways. We expect that everything God does
and asks us to do will make sense. But it didn't make sense to Mary that she
should become the mother of the Messiah while still a virgin. It didn't make
sense to Joseph, either. And it's not logical that God would use a sinner
like
me to bring you these daily reflections, especially since I don't have a
formal college degree, let alone a doctorate in theology. And neither is it
logical that you are the right person to do the tasks that God has set
before
you. But if we say NO to God's plan, we are saying NO to an awesome
experience
of presenting Jesus to the world.

Jesus is presenting Himself to you in unexpected ways today. Look for Him.

Here's how to find Him when you can't see Him. Make a list of all those
areas
of your life where it seems like God has left the room, closed the door and
forgotten about you. Wherever He seems to be failing you, abandoning you, or
dismissing your needs, this is where Jesus is presenting Himself to you in
UNexpected ways.

He is not standing where you're looking. Turn around and look in a different
direction. You might need to turn toward a direction you don't like. Where
you
expect disaster and more misery, unexpectedly, He is there, turning the bad
into good, for your sake AND for the benefit of everyone involved.

*Keep your eyes on Jesus*