The meaning of Baptism:

1. It means obedience to the command of Christ, Mark 16:16, "He that
believeth and is baptised shall be saved." Please note that believing comes
before baptism.

2. It means following Christ's example. I Peter 2:21, "...because Christ
also suffered for us, leaving us an example that ye should follow his
steps." see also John 13:15.

3. It means fulfilling all righteousness. Matt.3:15. "Suffer it to be so
now: for thus it becometh us to fulfill all righteousness," If Jesus needed
it, I certainly do, too.

4. It means identification with Christ, Rom.6:4-13
a. Identification in his death. Rom.6:5, "...planted together in the
likeness of His death."
b. Identification in his burial.Rom.6:4, "...buried WITH HIM by baptism into
death."
c. Identification in his resurrection. Rom.6:4, "...like as Christ was
raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should
walk in newness of life."

5. It means association with Christ's body. I Cor.12:13, "For by one spirit
are we all baptised into one body."