Each one should go on living according to the Lord’s gift to him, and as
he was when God called him” 1Cor 7.17

 God will provide

I remember of a group of nurses who came for retreat at Singapore.  The
retreat started with the awareness that God calls us for a specific
purpose.  During the first few minutes of the first session we started
exploring why those young ladies from India were in Singapore.  Most of
them stated that they arrived from India to Singapore looking for greener
pastures, looking for a better way of life. They said the truth but at a
closer look at the purpose of  lives they seemed to feel empty and
confused.  Eventually the group came to  identify that God has  called
them and they needed to be concerned above everything else with the
kingdom of God and ! “God will provide you with all these other things”
Mt 6.33.

 These young ladies were worried and concerned about many things and when
they realized that  “ The father in Heaven knows that you need all these
things. Instead be concerned with the kingdom of God and he will provide
you with these things” Luke 12.31, they were ready to  look at their
lives from a different perspective. They came to know that most of the
troubles they encountered in life was because  of overconcern for
material things.  Many of them wanted a quick fix to their problems and
within the retreat they began to recognize failures in life. Money didn’t
buy them peace of mind.  They looked closely at their call and  life
styles, which didnt match.  I think ! I

have heard the sahring  towards the end of the first day itself "This
session was an eye opener" .  Prior to the first day of the retreat, only
few of them discerned that their nursing career was a definite call to
holiness.  During the sessions, they looked differently at their healing
minist. Bandaging the wounds and treating the ill people turned out  not
only to be a way of ,rather  fulfilment of Jesus's  call to them..  Jesus
said “ I was sick and you took care of me” Mt.25.36.  Jesus emphasized
that treating the less fortunate is the best way to see Jesus. “I tell
you whenever you did this to the l! east important of these brothers you
did it for me” Mt. 25.40. Seeing Jesus in the less fortunate and the
suffering people became a different experience for those nurses. The
nurses took a solemn pledge to pray over the sick so that the
patients may recover. These nurses got the awareness that they are called
to heal the sick as Jesus healed. The nurses got empowered when they
became conscious that  being the believers they have the privilege to lay
hands on the sick and to pray for them, as Jesus commanded. “They will
place their hands on the sick and these will get well” Mark 16.18

Medical profession  is an amazing field to touch and to heal the sick.
It is not only medicine that heals. Total healing of the body and soul
happenes when God touches the sick. If the eternal healer doesn’t
function, the work of the doctors is  in vain. I have heard  from many
doctors  that they are not in command  rather “ God is in command”. One
day as I  entered a patient’s room,  one of my good friends, Doctor
Bashoor (a famous cardiologist),  said to me” If at al anyone could help
this patient it is God and if you could do something. Please  do ”.. I
used to hold hands with the doctors befo! re they went to perform
difficult surgeries.

The nurses in Singapore opened their inner eyes at the greatest truth
that they are not mere nurses; rather they are the chosen and anointed of
God. They are  powerful instruments in the healing hands of Jesus.  One
nurse by the name Ashley  (real name) from Singapore made a wonderful
sharing of a patient dying in peace when she was on duty. I have her
permission to insert the mail she send me

Ashley found this patient very restless at night . The patient was alone
and dying. Ashley went to her and prayed over the patient and gave her a
rosary. The patient became quiet and she died in peace. This incident
left a lasting impact in the life of this young nurse in Singapore.
Becoming conscious of that powerful miracle, she realized that being a
nurse she could help the living and the dying more than many other people
. The profession of a nurse or a Doctor is very challenging . They could
save  or destroy life. Very crucial decisions are in their hands and
conscience. If you are a Godless person you may easily let a person die
without any prepartion but on the other hand if you are a caregiver and
God oriented, you could help save, prolong lives and make that an
experience. At times prolongiong life could be meaningful for the!
families which might help them to settle some of the family feuds. Pain
is nothing to be ashamed of in our lives. “Must forget oneself and carry
the cross and follow me” Mr.8.34, is a command  and an invitation from
Jesus. Seeing and being with the suffering people is a participation in
redemption. Blessed Mother stood by the foot of the cross and became co
redeemer with Jesus. Praise the Lord.  "Jesus saw his mother and the
disciple he loved standing there” John 19.26.  She suffered everything in
her heart . The prophesy of Simeon at the Temple of Jerusalem “ And
sorrow like a sword, will break your own heart” Luke 2.35., made Mother
Mary mediatrix .  Blessed mother stood by the cross and became our co
redeemer. Much the same way when we ! stand by the cross of many a
people, we become co redeemers. The salvation of Jesus is being continued
in and through our lives. The medical profession offers ample chances to
be the coredeemers with Jesus.

We are not mere spectators in life. We are God’s powerful instruments and
are created in His own image and likeness. “ We will make human beings:
they will be like us and resemble us.” Gen 1.26.  We are powerful on this
earth. We are the beloved people of God. We need to live the life true to
our call. We are called and set apart by Jesus.   God has called us for a
definite ministry.  1 Cor 7.17.

Here is the account of Ashley from Singapore.

PRAISE THE LORD.

"Sing praise to the lord who ruled in Zion! Tell every nations what he
has done"(ps.9; 11) God has chosen me to listen his words. I got a chance
to participate in nurse’s retreat, which was conducted by Rev.Dr.Thomas
Mathew.

 I Am working as a nurse in Tan Tock Seng Hospital in Singapore. On the
5th of  August,  the retreat session was about Mother Mary." Do not be
ashamed then of witnessing for our Lord"(2Timot 1/8) I have shared one
incident, which happened, during my duty. On my night duty, there was one
Indian patient (malayali) patient by name Laxmiamma 88 years old. For 2
days she was in critical condition and the! Doctors  explained poor
prognosis to the family members. They were accepting the truth. On my
night duty she was very restless, seeing nightmares that somebody is
coming to take her away. Eventhough medicine was given she was unable to
sleep. I went to console her; she needed me to hold her hand and to be
beside her. I was unable to be with her all the time because I have to
look after other patients. I gave her a good companion my "rosary" to
hold  in her hand. Then I prayed for her keeping my hands over her head.
When I finished my prayer she was calm and slept for 3 1/2hrs.

When she was awake I asked her how she felt after the prayer. She
couldn’t express how peacefully she slept. There after she was very calm.
She lifted her arm and blessed me by holding my head. On the same day she
passed away. I believe  she had a peaceful death through mother Mary’s
hand to heavenly father.                   "The prayer in faith will heal
the sick person; the will restore him to health and t! he sin he has
committed will be forgiven (James 5; 5)

Ashley P Deny Mol/ Staff Nurse/Singapore

Ashley got the awareness of her vocation as a nurse to be a saint. Her
attitude change helped her to find joy in being a nurse. The work of a
nurse is a great call. Very often it will be a nurse who could be by the
bedside of a dying person. If the nurse is Spirit filled, many patients
will get healed and or if they patients are dying, they will die a
peaceful death. The nurses  have the capability to destroy life or to
save . The doctors will go after prognosis and prescribing medicine but a
nurse stays with the patient, lovingly attending to them, if the Holy
Spirit anoints that nurse.  If the Holy Spirit does not anoint them, they
may not take their profession as a definite call  to holiness and
recognize their dignity as Apostles and evangelizers. There are many
capable and very devoted nurses although they are not Godfearing. I don't
say they are a failure professionally, rather what I am trying to say is
that if they are God oriented professionals, they will find a different
expereince in being the co redeemers  with Jesus. "Each one should go on
living according to the Lord’s gift to him, and as he was when God called
him” 1Cor 7.17

Fr. Thomas Mathew/August 27,2002