November 17, 2002
St. Elizabeth of Hungary
widow(1207-1231)

In her short life Elizabeth manifested such great love for the poor and suffering that
she has become the patroness of Catholic charities and of the Secular Franciscan
Order. The daughter of the King of Hungary, Elizabeth chose a life of penance and
asceticism when a life of leisure and luxury could easily have been hers. This choice
endeared her in the hearts of the common people throughout Europe.
LIFE:
Elizabeth  was  the  daughter  of  King Andrew II  of  Hungary &  the  niece  of
St.Hedwig.At the age of 14 Elizabeth was married to Louis of Thuringia (a German
principality), whom she deeply loved; she bore three children. Under the spiritual
direction of a Franciscan friar, she led a life of prayer, sacrifice and service to
the poor and sick. Seeking to become one with the poor, she wore simple clothing.
Daily she would take bread to hundreds of the poorest in the land, who came to her
gate.
After six years of marriage, her husband died in the Crusades, and she was
grief-stricken. Her husband's family looked upon her as squandering the royal purse,
and mistreated her, finally throwing her out of the palace. The return of her
husband's allies from the Crusades resulted in her being reinstated, since her son was
legal heir to the throne.
In 1228 Elizabeth joined the Secular Franciscan Order, spending the remaining few
years of her life caring for the poor in a hospital which she founded in honor of St.
Francis.Our  Lord  and  our  Lady   favoured  her  with  repeated
apparations..Miracles  of  spiritual &bodily  healing   began  to be attributed   to
her  prayers.. Elizabeth's health declined, and she died on  November 17 ,1231. Her
great popularity resulted in her canonization four years later.

Comment:
Elizabeth understood well the lesson Jesus taught when he washed his disciples' feet
at the Last Supper: The Christian must be one who serves the humblest needs of others,
even if one serves from an exalted position. Of royal blood, Elizabeth could have
lorded it over her subjects. Yet she served them with such a loving heart that her
brief life won for her a special place in the hearts of many. Elizabeth is also an
example to us in her following the guidance of a spiritual director. Growth in the
spiritual life is a difficult process. We can play games very easily if we don't have
someone to challenge us or to share experiences so as to help us avoid pitfalls.

PATRONAGE:

bakers, beggars, brides, charitable societies, charitable workers, charities,
countesses, death of children, exiles, falsely accused people, hoboes, homeless
people, hospitals, in-law problems, lacemakers, lace workers, nursing homes, nursing
services, people in exile, people ridiculed for their piety, Sisters of Mercy,
tertiaries, Teutonic Knights, toothache, tramps, widows.

REFLECTION:

Before her death I heard her confession. When I asked what should be done about her
goods and possessions, she replied that anything which seemed to be hers belonged to
the poor. She asked me to distribute everything except one worn-out dress in which she
wished to be buried. When all this had been decided, she received the body of our
Lord. Afterward, until vespers, she spoke often of the holiest things she had heard in
sermons. Then, she devoutly commended to God all who were sitting near her, and as if
falling into a gentle sleep, she died. (Cornard  of   Marburg,her  spiritual
director..)