CAN YOU BELIEVE IT  !?

When the famous violinist Paganini played a concert in one of the great halls
of Europe, it was equivalent to the draw of a modern rock concert. The story
is told of one such night in Paris. As Paganini appeared on the stage, the
excited buzz of the audience turned to expectant applause. But as the maestro
began to play, a string broke on his exquisite violin. Any concern passed
quickly as the artist picked up the tune on his remaining three strings.
Unbelievably, another string snapped - followed moments later by a third
string. Now the buzz in the audience was more anxious, even disgruntled, it
wasn't expectant anymore. But the old maestro just raised his hand, calling
for silence. As the audience became quiet again, he made a simple announcement
- "Ladies and gentlemen - Paganini - and one string." What followed was easily
the most amazing musical performance that crowd had ever seen, or ever would
see - as the master played a rich and flawless melody - on one string.

When did the master most powerfully demonstrate his skill? When he had the
least to work with - one string. When does the Lord Jesus - our Master - most
powerfully demonstrate how much He can do? When He has the least to work with.
When our strings are broken and we have almost nothing left - that's when He
plays His masterpieces. That's what the great Apostle Paul learned when
virtually all the strings of his life had broken. His testimony is in 2
Corinthians 12:7-10, our word for today from the Word of God. Paul had been
given some spiritual revelations that no man had ever experienced before. He
says, "To keep me from becoming conceited because of these surpassingly great
revelations, there was given me a thorn in my flesh ... Three times I pleaded
with the Lord to take it away from me. But He said to me, 'My grace is
sufficient for you, for My power is made perfect in weakness.'" Because Paul
experiences God's power the most when he has nothing left, he says,
"Therefore, I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that
Christ's power may rest on me ... For when I am weak, then I am strong." Why?
Because the less there is of you, the more there is of God - and the more of
His power you experience. Which actually can make you, much like Paul, really
greet your hard times, your hurting times with a sense of expectancy instead
of dread or discouragement. Not that you like the pain, but you realize what
that pain can produce. And all through it, you have God's unbreakable promise,
"My grace is sufficient for you." Our weakness means an opportunity for a
display of His strength, His glory ... a chance to experience God's ability to
heal, to intervene, to carry you.

 Malcolm Muggeridge, the brilliant British journalist who gloriously came to
Christ late in life, put it this way: "Everything I have learned in my
seventy-five years in this world, everything that has truly enhanced and
enlightened my existence, has been through affliction and not through
happiness." So maybe most of your strings have broken and you're down to one
string. That's the moment when the Maestro is at His very best. He lovingly
holds you in His arms and says, "Almighty God - and one string." He's about to
play something beautiful, something unforgettable, something amazing through
your life.