This is a homily from a priest friend of ours for today's readings.

Enjoy

Shaji Chacko, Dubai

SECOND SUNDAY IN Ordinary Time

1. There is something wonderful about the WORD OF GOD. You can read it
again and again, and there is always something new. Perhaps it is
because we are constantly changing and hence the Word of God has a
different message for us. We have all read the Story of Samuel so many
times, we have sung the beautiful song: Here I am Lord - so too the
Story of Andrew and John going to visit Jesus in the Gospel of St. John.
In our culture and tradition we are always eager
to do some action, do something important
to say something profound
Have you noticed, that in neither of these stories is there a CALL to do
anything. It is just a call, just an invitation.. But both these calls
seem to echo John Milton's beautiful words on His Blindness: They also
serve who only Stand and Wait.

2. In the past, the word Vocation usually brought to mind the Call to be
a Priest or a Religious sister or brother. As we grew in the
understanding of Vocation , Married Couples also claimed the vocation
for their State of Life. Finally, as in the fullness of time: we have
realised, not as a concession, but as a sign of maturity - that Single
People have a Call to live out in a special way their own Relationship
with God. As we grown in Wisdom and Understanding, we look at Vocation,
or Call as extended to all men and women - not just limited to the
Christian Community. A call to all men and women to come into
relationship with God.

3. The humour of God is as we have seen in these two stories is that God
rarely calls us directly. God uses other persons in our lives and in our
neighbourhood to invite us. In our first reading: Eli the High priest
had to discern through the different times Samuel approached him, that
there was a CALL from God. Eli also had to discern how Samuel was to
answer this call. In our Gospel, it is John the Baptist who points his
two disciples in the direction of Jesus. And at the next stage: it is
Andrew who draws his brother Peter to his call.

4. And if you read carefully, it is not a call to the priesthood or even
a call to service. The two senses that are used are the Ears and Eyes.
Speak Lord for your servant is listening. And to Andrew and John, Jesus
says Come and see.
Our culture is prone to do something spectacular, wonderful and say
something profound. None of these senses are called for. Quite the
contrary: Keep your mouth shut and listen. Be still and know that the
Lord is near.

5. As I said, none of the calls were to the Priesthood. The story of
Samuel is typical of four Stories in the scriptures. One in the New
Testament and three in the Old Testament:
Story of Abraham and Sarah - with son Isaac
genesis 21
Story of Manoah and Zorah -with son Samson                    judges 13
Story of Elkanah and Hannah -with son Samuel              I Samuel 3
Story of Elizabeth and Zech - with son John the Baptist.        Luke 1
In each of these stories, you have a woman who is barren or past the age
of childbearing. This is considered a curse according to their religious
and cultural traditions. There is a manifestation or epiphany of the
Lord. The woman conceives and the Son that is born is dedicated to the
Lord. But not necessarily as a priest.
In the case of Isaac he was the fulfilment of the promises made
In the case of Samson he was judge of the people of Israel
In the case of Samuel he was a king maker and priest
In the case of John he was the Herald of the Messiah.

6. And so the call goes out to us... each and everyone. It is a call to
intimacy and relationship - not do something. Jesus called his
Disciples, by human terms we could have advised Jesus to do better. He
could have called the Pharisees, and Herod and Pilate... He would have
had Wealth, Power and Influence. But God has other ideas.    When God
chooses, God chooses for fidelity not for success. God will achieve the
Success in due time, and in manner which we cannot understand.
A good example of failure is Jesus himself: three years of teaching, a
bunch of rag tag uneducated men, who all run away, one even betrays him.
And Jesus himself ends up hung like a common criminal on the cross. By
human standards, by society's way of life, this is a failure, a lost of
cause. And yet no man or woman has changed and continues to change the
lives of so many people even today.

7. The Lord told the man he had work for him  to do. He  was to push
against the rock with all his  might.
The man did this day after day, week after week, year after year.
"Why kill myself over this?" he thought. "I'll just  put in my time,
giving just the minimum effort; and that will be good enough."
One day he decided to make it  a matter  of  prayer  and take his
troubled thoughts to the Lord. "Lord,"  he said, "I  have  laboured
long and hard in your service,  Yet, after all this  time, I have not
even budged that  rock.

The Lord responded compassionately, "My friend, when I asked you to
serve Me your task was to push against  the rock with  all of  your
strength,  which  you have  done.  Never once did I say you had to move
it. Your task was to push.
Your  arms are strong and muscled,
your back sinewy and brown,
your hands are callused  from  constant pressure,
your legs have become massive and  hard.
you  have grown much through  opposition

- are you listening, because it is Your God who speaks?
- are you seeing, because it is Your God who invites.