Dear Family,

Sorry, a Vatican article on Christian Unity is
re-produced below:

love, Joseachayan / Jeddah / Saudi Arabia

Christian Unity Would Be a Gift of God, Says John Paul
II

Voices His Hopes on Occasion of Week of Prayer

VATICAN CITY, JAN. 19, 2003 (Zenit.org).- John Paul II
says that full unity among Christians is possible,
with God's grace.

The Pope today spoke about the the goal of full
communion among believers, as the Week of Prayer for
Christian Unity entered its second day.

>From Jan. 18-25, representatives of the world's 2
billion Christians -- including Catholics, Orthodox,
Anglicans and Protestants -- will meet for ecumenical
prayer with the motto "We Have This Treasure in Clay
Jars."

Before praying the midday Angelus with the crowds
gathered in St. Peter's Square, the Holy Father
explained more fully the meaning of this motto, taken
from the Apostle Paul, in 2 Corinthians 4:7.

"The knowledge of divine glory, reflected in the face
of Christ, shines in our hearts; however, we carry
this treasure in clay jars, that is, in the frailty of
our human condition, to show that the transcendent
power belongs to God and not to us," he explained.

"The reconstruction of the unity of all the baptized
is, in effect, a gift from God, and our effort alone
is not sufficient to bring it about," he added. "But
when Christians come together, see themselves as
brothers, collaborate to alleviate sufferings, and
pray for unity, they contribute to make the face of
Christ and his glory shine."

The Pontiff urged the faithful in their prayers this
week to "ask the Lord to make the communion among
Christians grow to fullness, in truth and charity."

John Paul II will close the week of prayer on Jan. 25,
when he presides over the celebration of vespers in
the Basilica of St. Paul Outside the Walls.

The texts that accompany the intentions for this week
of prayer were prepared by a panel made up of Catholic
representatives and of the Faith and Constitution
commission of the World Council of Churches.