Dear everyone,

This is a mail I got... I dont know how true it is. I am sorry it is a bit long but
please do go through it and if some of you can explain if this is really true or is
just made up... pls do. I personally do not like to put down these people since I am
ignorant of the situation and this may be wrong... so whoever knows.. pls do
enlighten... whether it is true and to what extent...
Waiting for inputs... thanks...
Love and prayers, Rosemary (Goa)

Health, Wealth and Heresy

When you switch on to the “Miracle” or “God” Channels on television, listen with your
head and heart to know how the truth is being distorted

We look at the subtle dangers of watching TBN (“Miracle Channel”) on TV, we shall look
at some ofthe fundamental errors in the beliefs and teachings of some of the so called
“Televangelists”. Many viewers find it difficult to believe that these “anointed men
of God” could teach anything other than pure Biblical Christianity. All we ask of
readers is, rather than assess the truth of the faith by what is said by a so called
“man of God”, you assess the “man of God” and his teaching by the truth of Holy
Scripture. Even without reference to Catholic Tradition, but only Scripture, their
errors are obvious.

One by-product of the communications revolution is the increased use of television for
evangelisation. Most people do not know it, but the Catholic Church pioneered the use
of the electronic media in those days, mainly radio and to a lesser extent television
to reach millions with the Good News of God’s love and salvation shown in His Son
Jesus. Bishop Fulton Sheen was the first and most popular radio and TV evangelist, and
arguably the best in terms of sound content and an ability to lift the faith of his
audience. His loyal audience and viewers included not only Catholics, but even other
Christians and Jews!

It’s a different story today. Television evangelism seems to be dominated by
neo-Pentecostal fundamentalists who, because of their emphasis on faith, healing and
praying in tongues, are mistaken for charismatic. They are not. Many of these
preachers have deliberately disguised themselves as charismatics, to gain some
legitimacy, and have tarnished the reputation of the Charismatic Renewal.

Where does the problem lie? The basic problem is in the beliefs of this school of
preachers/teachers/healers. Conservative Christians would have no hesitation in saying
that they have departed from Christianity, and some have imported elements from
non-Christian belief systems that are incompatible with Christianity. In the process,
some of the very basic articles of the Christian Faith have been deserted and
substituted. These include the Trinity, the nature of God, the Creator-creature
relationship, Jesus, salvation, and the covenant. I shall quote some of the teachings
of these so-called evangelists and teachers, to show how unsafe it is for any sincere
Christian Catholic or not to listen to them. The source of every quotation will be
given. Most of the references date back to a decade ago. But none of the so called
evangelists have ever retracted and corrected their false teaching. On the contrary,
they maintain that they have always been teaching “God’s Word”.

The Trinity: Although the network has been named after the Trinity, the Trinity is one
of the first faith casualties in the strange theology of Paul Crouch, founder of TBN.
He has supported the United Pentecostal Church, a cult which calls the Trinity a pagan
doctrine. He agreed “one million billion per cent” that to break unity with those who
deny the Trinity is “a work of the devil”. (“Praise the Lord”, TBN 5.9.91 ). Of those
who object to such heresy, Crouch has said, “I think they’re damned and on their way
to hell; and I don’t think there’s any redemption for them”. (Quoted in Los Angeles
Times, 29.9.91)

Claiming to speak “under the anointing” of the Holy Spirit, Benny Hinn has distorted
the Trinity: “I feel revelation knowledge already coming on me here... Holy Spirit,
take over in the name of Jesus... God the Father, ladies and gentlemen, is a person;
and He is a triune being by Himself separate from the Son and the Holy Ghost... See,
God the Father is a person, God the Son is a person, God the Holy Ghost is a person.
But each one of them is a triune being by Himself. If I can shock you and maybe I
should there’s nine of them”. (TBN 3.10.90).

The Origin of God. According to Kenneth Copeland, earth is “a copy of the Mother
Planet. Where God lives, he made a little one just like his, and put us on it”. (Audio
tape “Following the Faith of Abraham I”). Charles Capps, “ordained” a minister by
Kenneth Copeland says, “God filled His words with faith to cause the things He said to
come into manifestation”. So God has faith? In whom? According to Copeland, “Faith is
a power force... a tangible force...” (“The Force of Faith”). Capps adds, “Faith is
the substance, the raw material ... that God used to create the universe” (“Changing
the Seen and Shaping the Unseen”).

A Little God called Man. Speaking of the creation of man, Capps says, “The word
‘likeness’ in the original Hebrew means ‘an exact duplication in kind’. Adam was an
exact duplication of God’s kind!” (“Authority in Three Worlds”). According to Benny
Hinn, Adam was “the first superman... Adam not only flew, he flew to space... with one
thought he would be on the moon” (“Praise the Lord” TBN, 26.12.91). Copeland has more
on Adam, who “was as much female as he was male. He was exactly like God. Then God
separated him and removed the female part. Woman means ‘man with the womb’”
(“Sensitivity of Heart”, KCP Publications).

God expelled! Most of the Word Faith “evangelists” have been moulded in the pattern of
Kenneth Hagin, who got most of his beliefs from E.W. Kenyon. Kenyon taught that “the
believer is as much an incarnation as was Jesus”. According to Kenyon, “Adam had a
legal right to transfer his dominion and authority to the enemy. God has been obliged
... to recognise Satan’s legal standing, and legal right and authority. On this ground
only can we understand the legal side of the Plan of Redemption” (“The Father and His
Family”).

A Comeback Covenant. Copeland says that God, legally expelled from the earth, “had no
avenue for lasting faith or moving in the earth. He had to have a covenant with
somebody... He had to be invited in, or He couldn’t come. In order to have any say so
on earth, He’s gonna have to be in agreement with a man here” (God’s Covenants with
Man 11). “God needed an avenue back into earth... Since man was the key figure in the
fall, man had to be the key figure in the redemption, so God approached Abram. He
re-enacted with Abram what Satan had done with Adam except that God didn’t sneak in
and use deception... God offered Abram a proposition and Abram bought it”.
(Copeland,“Our Covenant With God”). Benny Hinn explains, God “could not touch the
earth till a man gave it back to Him” (Sermon at World Charismatic Conference,
Anaheim, 7.8.92). Creflo Dollar said, on a programme beamed to India very recently,
that because Abraham was ready to sacrifice his son Isaac, God was covenant bound!
 to offer His Son in exchange.

Jesus according to this school, was only a spoken word. It was God’s “positive
confession” of a Messiah to come, that resulted in the Incarnation. “Once that
covenant [with Abraham] was established, God began to release His Word into the earth.
He began to paint a picture of a Redeemer, a man who would be the manifestation of His
Word in the earth” (Copeland, “The Power of the Tongue”, 9). “The angels spoke the
words of the covenant to Mary. She pondered them in her heart, and those words became
the seed. And the Spirit of God hovered over her and generated that seed, which was
the Word that the angel spoke to her. And there was conceived in her, the Bible says,
a holy thing. The Word literally became flesh”. (KC Ministries, audiotape No.01 4405,
side 2)

Salvation was won, according to this school, not by God incarnate on the cross, but by
a man ‘born again’ in the depths of hell. Copeland says, “Why does God have to pay the
price... ? He has to have a man like that first one (Adam). He’s got to be all man. He
cannot be a God and come storming in here with attributes and dignities that are not
common to man. He can’t do that. It’s not legal” (“The Incarnation”, audio tape
No.010402). According to Kenyon, the originator of this warped thinking, “His [Jesus’)
body did not become mortal until the Father laid our sin nature upon Him... on the
cross. The moment that He became sin, His body became mortal, only then could He die.
When this happened, spiritual death, the nature of Satan, took possession of His
Spirit... Jesus knew that the moment had come, and He was to be made sin... He must
partake of that dread nature of the Adversary... Satan would become His master. He had
been lifted up as a serpent. Serpent is Satan. Jesus kn!
ew He was going to be lifted up, united with the Adversary”. (“What Happened from the
Cross to the Throne”}. That is why Copeland says, “Satan conquered Jesus on the
cross”. Warming to this theme, Benny Hinn says, “Jesus Christ knew the only way He
would stop Satan is by becoming one in nature with him... He did not take my sin; He
became my sin. Sin is the nature of Hell... He became one with the nature of Satan, so
all those who had the nature of Satan can partake of the nature of God”. (TBN,
I5.12.90).

Jan Crouch of TBN approvingly recited from “Destined for the Throne” by Paul
Billheimer, “Because He was ‘made sin’, impregnated with sin, and became the very
essence of sin, on the cross He was banished from God’s presence as a loathsome thing.
He and sin were made synonymous... The Father turned Him over... to the satanic
torturers... As long as Christ was ‘the essence of sin’ he was at Satan’s mercy” (TBN
20.8.87).

Redemption, they say, is worked by a technicality: God tricked Satan into dragging
Jesus to hell although He was sinless. “Satan was holding the Son of God there
illegally... The trap was set for Satan and Jesus was the bait”. (Copeland, “Walking
in the Realm of the Miraculous”). “The Devil forgot to take into consideration that
Jesus hadn’t sinned Himself, but had merely become sin as a result of the sin of
others”. (Copeland, “What happened from the Cross to the Throne“).

Having demoted Jesus, they deify man. Kenneth Hagin says, “Man... was created on terms
of equality with God... God made us as much like Himself as possible... He made us the
same class of being as Himself...” (Zoe: “The God Kind of Life”) Paul Crouch amplified
this : “I am a little god. I have this name. I’m one with him. I’m in covenant
relation. I am a little god! Critics be gone!” (“Praise the Lord”, TBN 7.7.86). Benny
Hinn is eqaually emphatic : “Don’t tell me you have Jesus. you are everything he was
and everything he is and ever will be.... The new man says ‘I am a little messiah ...
You are a little god on earth ...’” (TBN 16.11.90).

And the final word from Kenneth Copeland : “When I read in the Bible where he says, ‘I
Am’ I just smile and say, ‘Yes, I Am, too’”. (“The Believer’s Voice of Victory”
Broadcast 9.7.87)