On Tue, Nov 4, 2008 at 5:58 PM, Ariel Flesler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> P.S: I knew you'd be throwin' in your super revolutionary version of
> it.. so predictable :-P

:D

mine was just a suggestion. Clever or recent browsers cast as constant the
regexp, but to be sure it happens everywhere, you can "force" in that way.

My point is that I still cannot believe a runtime code works faster than a
regexp that should perform exactly the same in core. This could depend on
regexp engine, but we are still talking about compiled C against runtime
interpretated code (unless we are not under V8, TraceMonkey, or SquirrelFish
Extreme)

In any case, I tested the same over this string: Array(1000).join(" test ")
and you are right, your performs in a reasonable time, while the RegExp,
casted or not, asks me to stop the script execution.
This is hilarius to me, and I can think about a regexp engine problem more
than a bad practice, so I guess your porposal makes sense enough, since it
is a must for big strings, a little bit slower for small strings.

Cheers