First I wanted to thank all the people involved in developing jQuery,
it has changed my way of programming and greatly improved what I can
do with my code.

Looking at how I write event handlers and manipulators it appears that
I used the .attr("id") call a lot. I doubt that I'm the only one, in
fact I believe that is a pretty common pattern among developers. It
will probably speed up jQuery a bit to provide a method to access
often-used properties directly.  Implementing jQuery.id() could help
us avoid the overhead of jQuery.attr() in crucial parts of the
applications and result in an overall speed-up

Thoughts?

--
Paolo