Well, the problem is that :input is designed to match individual form
elements - especially things that might be submitted to the server.
Individual option elements aren't submitted to a server - nor are they
individually useful (their values only really mean anything within the
context of a select). For the same reason I don't think we should
include <optgroup>.

At least on your end the fix is pretty easy: Change ":input" to
":input, option".

I'm definitely open to more discussion on this point, just not
convinced yet (and am definitely afraid that it might cause other code
to break).

--John