Dave Methvin wrote:
>> I ran into a number of times where I needed to grab a
>> series of css values and set them all onto another,
>>

> This functionality overlaps with what you were proposing in #4295 but
> to me it seems like a better way to do it because you can explicitly
> get the individual properties you want rather than making jQuery parse
> (and the caller interpret) the complex shorthand situations.
>
> http://dev.jquery.com/ticket/4295

That bug has nothing to do with the caller interpreting complex
shorthands. That's a ticket for fixing a cross browser incompatibility
with shorthand forms which are perfectly valid for use without using any
complex forms. jQuery is supposed to keep things short and abstract
browser incompatibility so I see no reason to require people to use
$(node).css(['marginTop', 'marginRight', 'marginBottom', 'marginLeft']);
when it's perfectly valid (and more likely) for them to try using
$(node).css('margin'); which has a bug in it they are unlikely to know
about.
>> var cssCache = $(node).css(['display', 'width', 'height']);
>>

> To make it optionally chainable I'd add the ability to pass in an
> object as the second argument so you could do this:
>
> var saved = {};
> $(node)
>   .css(['display', 'width', 'height'], saved)
>   .something().mangling().theNode()
>   .css(saved);
>
> This particular example is really similar to the internal swap()
> method though, so maybe there's some way to publish that in a
> reasonable way instead.
>
> http://dev.jquery.com/browser/trunk/jquery/src/attributes.js#L180
>
> I played with something like this a couple of years back but it just
> seemed like too much code to include in the core. Perhaps the best
> start is to see how it looks as a plugin.

~Daniel Friesen (Dantman, Nadir-Seen-Fire)