I would also suggest looking into this page:

http://james.padolsey.com/javascript/extending-jquerys-selector-capabilities/

and this plugin

http://plugins.jquery.com/project/EnhancedAttributeSelectors

although it (still) does not do exactly what you want ...

Regards

--
Dusan Jovanovic
http://dbj.org

This email originates from Dusan B. Jovanovic. It, and any
attachments, may contain confidential information and may be subject
to copyright or other intellectual property rights. It is only for the
use of the addressee(s). You may not copy, forward, disclose, save or
otherwise use it in any way if you are not the addressee(s) or
responsible for delivery. If you receive this email by mistake, please
advise the sender and cancel it immediately. Dusan B. Jovanovic may
monitor the content of emails within its network to ensure compliance
with its policies and procedures. Any email is susceptible to
alteration and its integrity cannot be assured. Dusan B. Jovanovic
shall not be liable if the message is altered, modified, falsified, or
edited.