In thinking more about the deeper problem, it seems to me an array of
the values is the right answer.  Each value in the array would
correspond to the value returned if querying the simple property.  I
am unable to think of a CSS compound property that doesn't denote its
parts delimited by whitespace.  This means that it would be possible
to return meaningful data.

So if the browser returns "5px 5px 5px 5px" then jQuery returns an
array of values simply in the order the browser gives it, but if it
returns "5px" then it acts as it currently does.  Then the user of
this method can determine if it is compound or not based upon if it is
handed a collection or scalar value.  Then the method using the value
can grab the appropriate piece of information and not need to re-
implement the parsing/retrieval logic.