Ah, new $, is possible and therefore not barred ... Left in there as a
sort of a land-mine for the newcomers ? Or as an esoteric test for GC
developers ? Highly useless it seems to me.

Back to reality and jQuery. $ is defined as:

function(selector, context) {
            // The jQuery object is actually just the init constructor
'enhanced'
            return new jQuery.fn.init(selector, context);
        }

Maybe I am just searching for ECMA "harmony", but will $() definition
that throws an exception if new-ed , be usefull  :

try {
        new $ ;
} catch ( x )
{
    // x. message == "Can not new $()"
}

Au-contraire : will this hurt anyone ? Is exception throwing
porgramming idiom damaging for jQuery?

--DBJ

PS: if Python was choosen as a Netscape scripting language,  World
would be a better place ... If nothing else its name is less
ridiculous ... ;o)