> I ran it around 15 times and the winner changes radically, both yield
> random numbers between 40-80 in Chrome. Non-caching seems to win most of
> the time but with the change rate, the numbers don't seem reliable.

I assume you're talking about Internet Explorer 6? You need to use a copy
that has a reliable timer, in order to get reliable timer results.

I wrote about this here:
http://ejohn.org/blog/accuracy-of-javascript-time/

In this case, running ies4osx yields very stable results - consistently
showing IE 6 running over 2x faster.

Even when not running that, though, in a normal IE browser in a non-VM
environment I get:

IE 6    141ms   265ms
IE 7     157ms  265ms
IE 8      94ms   187ms

and I can reload those and get equivalent results quite reliably.

--John