> I was hesitant to enable the first two because it can be ambivalent.
> Stuff like this:

I understand. This dwim thing is virtually impossible to get right all
of the time.

Now, I suspect there is a very obvious answer to this that I fail to
see, but how would I go about forcing jQuery to return a collection of
three items for input like "word<br />word".

One that springs to mind is some nasty kludge like:

   $( $('<body />').html( 'word<br/>word' )[0].childNodes )

Which could of course be hidden away inside a nice $.html() plugin, to
provide 100% reliable string-to-HTML service.

Actually, textNodes tend to get left out in jQuery methods -
especially methods such as .children(), .next(), .nextAll(), etc...
(Only today did I rip off an old $.fn.nextUntil() method of yours,
John, and added an optional parameter to gobble up textNodes as well.)

--
Már