... after Karl and DZ exchanged understanding , let us try and help
Karl ...

My thinking is this : is this a Sizzle issue ? Or jQuery core "does
something" ?
By answering this question we will narrow down this exciting "bug"
chase.
If we observe jQuery.find() (which is Sizzle() ) we can easily see
that actually (on most modern browsers) it returns the result of :

context.querySelectorAll(query)  // (for non-xml documents)

This jQuery usage : $('p').find('strong ~ strong');
Is actually transformed (by jQuery core) into call to Sizzle (aka find
() ), where
context is document and selector is "p strong ~ strong"
which in turn is used inside Sizlle , simply as :

document.querySelectorAll("p strong ~ strong")

I think the question is: Is the above statement returning expected
results ?
Or put it differently : does querySelectorAll() does the job for
Karl ?
If it does then jQuery is to "blame", if it is not, who can we blame ?

--DBJ