The problem is that, at this point, we're going for 1.4 so it'll be
hard for us to integrate it immediately.

Although, the solution that you outline isn't completely ideal,
either. Having too many releases causes users to never upgrade, for
fear of another release coming out soon. We've found that the optimal
release cycle is around 2-3 months for point release, 1 year for major
release. Of course we missed the 1.3.3 release, but that's mostly
because the team decided to push through and go straight for 1.4,
instead.

--John