> To my surprise the css method with name/value does actually work.

It's just assigning a string value to a css property, so it should
work.

> But as stated in my first post, animate fails

I want to be sure I understand what animate was expected to do. So you
wanted animate to change the text-shadow property in steps over 2
seconds from this:

text-shadow: #6374AB 20px -12px 2px;

to this:

text-shadow: #6374AB 20px -12px 20px;

Is that right? I think all the css cases to date that animate needs to
handle are able to isolate a single value, and this one is four
different values with four meanings so yeah it looks like it would
need special case handling.

This is the first time in css I can recall that the individual values
aren't broken out into separate values and then accessible by a
shorthand property. For example, there is a border-right property;
it's just built from border-right-color, border-right-width, and
border-right-style separated by spaces. But with text-shadow there
isn't a text-shadow-color, text-shadow-x, text-shadow-y, and text-
shadow-radius. If there was, you could just solve this problem by
animating text-shadow-radius from 2px to 20px, right?