Personally, I find that the expression +new Date is obtuse and doesn't
really explain what is happening very well. You're creating an object
- then putting a plus next to it - to get some result. Is it a string?
a number? Whereas (new Date).getTime() is very explicit: You know that
you're getting the time back.

I just landed one fix: In support.js we were using (new
Date).getTime() instead of our now() function that we use everywhere
(save for Sizzle, which is a separate project).

There is no appreciable performance difference between the two
techniques - and certainly not in any quantity that would affect us
more than the actual now() function call.

--John