On Wed, Dec 9, 2009 at 4:06 PM, John Resig <jere...@gmail.com> wrote:

> The problem with this particular proposal is that it kind of throws
> out the fact that Sizzle works right to left on the selector. We
> currently evaluate the left-hand-side of the selector first ONLY if
> there's an #id at the beginning. So we could, theoretically, get your
> proposal to work but ONLY if the selector began with an ID - and that
> seems a bit weird.

> I'd be open to an alternative proposal: Simply removing the need to
> have to do .contents() before calling .find(), this way you could do:
>
> $("iframe").find("body") or $("body", "iframe")
>
> Does this work?

I understand the technical implication and problem, but I still think the
ideal
solution would be the one proposed.

Making it only work for id's is pretty weird I agree, but the find()
proposal is
only slightly better. I believe that most jQuery users do not see a
difference
between

$('#elem').find('p')

and

$('#elem p')

so again, people would run against a wall when seeing $('#iframe').find('p')
and then later trying $('#iframe p'). Is there any other case where find
works
differently than another selector part?

> --John
>

> On Tue, Dec 8, 2009 at 9:24 PM, Paul Bakaus <paul.bak...@googlemail.com>
> wrote:
> > Hey guys,
> > here's a feature request I just added as a ticket
> > (http://dev.jquery.com/ticket/5617). I was thinking about this for a
> long
> > time
> > and came to the conclusion that this really fits into Core, not into a
> > plugin IMHO. Useful and small enough for a broad audience.
> > Ticket content:
> >
> > Currently, the syntax to query iframes looks like this:
> >
> > $('#someIframe').contents().find('p').addClass('error')
> >
> > which isn't too bad. However, I think another abstraction could really
> fit
> > into our core philosophy, which is transforming the above into this:
> >
> > $('#someIframe p').addClass('error');
> >
> > I think it wouldn't add much overhead to Sizzle / jQuery, a simple check
> if
> > nodeName equals iframe, and then changing the actual DOM element
> > representation for further queuries down the selector to the
> > contentDocument.
> >
> > Additionally, make browsing up possible:
> >
> > $(document).parent()
> >
> > Yay / Nay?
> > --
> > Paul Bakaus