I've also been taking a look at wrapInner(function), which is
essentially .contents().wrapAll(function);  When wrapAll() receives a
function, it seems to wrap each element in the set individually,
rather than the expected behaviour of "wrapping all the elemnets in
the matched set into a single wrapper element." This also means that
the wrapInner(function) callback is run multiple times for a single
element, and the context of that callback changes in each iteration.

This doesn't quite seem logical.  Take a look at http://jsfiddle.net/45JBh/
and see if you agree.  I have a half-written ticket on this too, but
wasn't so sure it actually needs "correcting."