i wonder if the closure compiler detects and removes this from the
final build, seems like a pretty easy thing to auto-catch.

having never used it, i dont know, it does bring up the question of -
how much feedback does the closure compiler give regarding what it
optimizes in the code. i mean it's all good and well that the
optimizations are being done during the build, but it would be nice to
see what it catches and just update the source to be more efficient
from the get-go. this might also help spot not-so-obvious improvements
if the code is simplified and shortened.

anyone know an answer to this one, i'd like to know as well?

thanks,
Leon