Thank you Karl, that seems to be exactly what I was looking for!

@Andrea...
I know it's potentially a bit of a rare case but I've had to make some
changes to an old page where the css was static but the page had rows
(not table rows) that needed to be able to update based on the width
of the page, but because certain other parts needed to be static
widths it became impossible to give them a percent width or anything
else like that. They don't have a special parent element that can be
set where they can be 100% either so the easiest way was to set the
widths to a static number every resize, but I also had to include a
catch every time new rows were added, and this would allow me to get
rid of the extra step.
As a side note it also seemed to be a bit faster (at least in some
browsers) when I was able to set it via class instead of jquery
iterating through the elements and setting each one (though I haven't
tested with 1.4).

Thanks for the replies though!
-Mike