On Apr 2, 2007, at 9:05 PM, Joao Pedrosa wrote:

Hi,

We'd also like to hear your opinions on any issue that you think merits
reconsideration. Whether it be file size, components that should be in
core or site documentation, we want to hear about it.

In Ruby-land, RubyForge has been a very successful initiative. Together with
RubyGems for package management, it has made Ruby very popular. Sure,
Ruby on Rails had something to do with it as well. :-)

But the thing is, RubyForge allows for people to manage their own projects, while keeping the projects in context. Also, it hosts RubyGems packages.

As I see it, jQuery is very successful already, so it could make use of a
jQueryForge site, and eventually, it could have support of a package
management a la RubyGems which could make installing plugins a breeze.

Rather than reinventing the wheel, maybe you could reuse RubyGems even?

Take a look on rubyforge.com and see for yourself these numbers:
Hosted Projects: *3,144*
Registered Users: *14,815

:-)

Cheers,
Joao
*

RubyForge is running the basic SourceForge software, with a vastly nicer skin.

Walter