Jörn,

>Its all a bit tricky: Those portlets are enclosed in about 6 layers of
>tables (gah) and IE doesn't even let me start the debugger, it simply
>fails completely to display anything at all.

I really think it's the tables that are your problem. IE has some issues
trying to manipulate elements that have relative positioning that are inside
multiple table tags.

One thing that *might* help is if you define your tables w/a "table-layout:
fixed;" style. You'll need to explicitly set all the column widths though.
This will generally allow IE to start rendering the table immediately--so it
might fix the issue of you manipulating the DOM elements in the tables.

For more info:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/workshop/author/dhtml/reference/properties/tablela
yout.asp

-Dan