I am new to jquery and am trying to get the form plugin to work
correctly. The success callback is not getting called, and I am
getting the following error:

jQuery(options.target).attr("innerHTML", data).evalScripts is not a
function

I am at a complete loss (I must say that jquery is far harder to debug
than prototype).  My target gets populated with the responseText, so I
know I am returning something. The error is at:

 // perform a load on the target only if dataType is not provided
213 if (!options.dataType && options.target) {
214 var oldSuccess = options.success || function(){};
215 callbacks.push(function(data, status) {
216 jQuery(options.target).attr("innerHTML",
data).evalScripts().each(oldSuccess, [data, status]);
217 });
218 }

Also, it is not clear why dataType and target are mutually exclusive.

Any ideas?