Giant Jam Sandwich wrote:
Well, I have vastly improved this script. It was my first plugin for
jQuery, and after creating a few others, I decided to go back and make
some edits on this one. You can find the demo here:

http://reindel.com/blog/src/jquery_truncate/

Nice!

An interesting variant on this would be one that called something like the following on document ready:

    $("p.truncate").truncate(100, /\s/);

With markup that looked like

       defused a growing confrontation with Britain, announcing the
       surprise release of 15 captive British sailors
       <a class="more" href="http://news.yahoo.com...";>more...</a>

This might be a little tricky to do right, but would degrade quite gracefully.

Thanks for sharing this,

  -- Scott