On Apr 5, 2007, at 11:00 AM, dc wrote:

how?  it makes you log in with your google account before you can
subscribe to the list and there's nowhere to let you specify an
alternative, non-google address.

I posted something about this to the list a few days ago, but I think it might not have arrived because I inadvertently sent it to the old address. Anyway, here is what I wrote. Hope it helps:

Hey folks,

Just thought I'd relay some stuff I discovered after the move to google groups. Although I have a gmail account, the email address I use for this list is non-gmail/google, so I wasn't sure how to change my group/user preferences. Turns out we have to create an account at google first, using the email address that we're using for the list.

To create an account go here:
https://www.google.com/accounts/NewAccount

Again, put in the same email address that you're using for the list, i.e. the one that is now being used for the google group.

Choose and re-enter a password. Enter the optional information if you want and enter the CAPTCHA. Press the I Accept button at the bottom.

It'll send an email confirmation, etc. to you. Reply to it, and you should be all set. Then, when you're back at google.com, look for the set of links in the upper-right corner. If you're signed in, you'll see My Account, as well as sign-out and some others (if you're not signed in, you'll see a sign-in link that you should click). Clicking on My Account will get you to a page where you can change your personal info, password, etc. It also has a link for Groups. Click on that one to see jQuery (English) listed in the My Groups section. You can manage your membership (change email preferences, etc.), add more groups, and much more.

Okay, maybe this is all really basic stuff that people can figure out on their own. Still, it took me a while to find my way and get everything set up the way I want it, so maybe this will help someone else avoid the momentary confusion that I had.

Cheers,

--Karl
Karl Swedberg
www.englishrules.com