The body of my page is centered. It is 800px in width. I have a div that I
need to be absolutely positioned over the body, so I am trying to get the
left position of the (centered) body tag using the dimensions.js offset
method.

In IE I get the correct left position, but in FF I get 0.

When I ask for the left position of the first element in the body, IE says 0
while FF gives the correct number (even taking into account the centered
body).

$(window).width() does work in both browsers, so I could use that to figure
out where the centered body is, but I was just wondering if others have had
success finding the position of a centered body tag.

Thanks!